VOGONS

First post, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have ASUS PVI-486AP4+Am5x86-133 and trying to connect 512MB (495) CF card. BIOS supports LBA.

There are 3 options to use connecting HDD:
1. Motherboard local IDE Controller
2. QD6580W VLB Controller
3. GW2760 ISA Controller

BIOS does not recognize (or work if configured manually) CF card as MASTER using:
1. Motherboard local IDE controller
2. QD6580W VLB Controller

BIOS recognizes CF card in SLAVE (D:) mode if another HDD or CDROM is jumpered as MASTER using:
- All the cases 1-3

BIOS recognizes CF card in MASTER mode (single) using:
3. GW2760 ISA Controller

540MB spinning HDD is recognized as MASTER is all cases, but I don't want to use it (terrible noise and bad clusters).
With another 512MB CF card the same happens.
CF card with the same adapter is working great in another machine.

I would like to use VLB controller because this is the only VLB mobo I have, and theoretically it's faster than ISA. And because I need floppy, controller card is a must because mobo does not have one.
I could try to change the "CF to IDE40" -adapter but hard to belive it would make any difference. BIOS is updated 0202 -> 0205.beta2 and the same thing with both versions.
I just can't figure out what is the problem?

VLB and mobo controller are behaving similarly. Is it possible hat GW2760 uses own routines as there are no problems?

VLB controller is the same card as in the picture
15626?size=resize

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 1 of 6, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just informing the root cause is in the CF to IDE adapter. Got the CF card working now in VLB controller with bracket type adapter.
Always try easy and probable solutions first. Lessons learned.

ES-S.jpg
This is the one I has issues with.

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 2 of 6, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What rev AP4 do you have printed on the motherboard.
Using latest bios (Award 11/25/97) and a 1GB CF card connected as master to the onboard IDE works for me. This is using a cheap chinese CF > IDE adaptor with floppy power connector. It is slow though, limited to PIO-3, I'm not sure if the onboard IDE support PIO mode 4.
In the end I skipped CF cards and a VLB option and used a sata controller( SAT2-MV8 PCI-X) in one of the PCI slots with a cheap 128GB SSD, installed DOS7.1, fat32 to use full space. This was the only controller I had available and even though it is 64bit PCI-X it works on the 32 bit PCI slots on the AP4. Speedsys shows 61MB/S read benchmark in DOS, it uses UDMA-66 with the controller bios. I noticed in some of the more demanding games a clear speedup and smoother without pauses in flight unlimited, Nascar racaing. Obviously dma frees up the cpu overhead compared to PIO. Much cheaper than SCSI alternatives I was looking in to.
IF your looking for alternatives, Promise TX4 SATA PCI controllers are cheap on that auction site.

Reply 3 of 6, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Board version is 1.6 if I remember correctly.

I used Vision QDIMark to benchmark drive speed.

This is without QD6580 driver: ~2.2 MB/s
Sieppaa2.jpg

QD6580 DOS driver installed: ~6.8 MB/s
Sieppaa1.jpg

Not that I care, just wanted to see the effect. Speed tripled. I think 6+ MB/s is just enough for me and my simple games...

Toshiba T8500 desktop

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure the onboard controller is local bus, probably PCI.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by led178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AvalonH wrote on 2020-10-12, 17:46:

Speedsys shows 61MB/S read benchmark in DOS

Are you sure? On a 486 machine, we could not cross the 25mb/s threshold.
Don't you have a screenshot of speedsys?

Reply 6 of 6, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i use the QD6580W atm on a Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 with 4021 Bios. On primary IDE is a CF-IDE adapter with a transcent 4GB .
So my Bios see the CF with 2GB in bios LBA. I created than the first parti for dos with max size and installed dos 6.22 .
System boots fine.
But when i try to install the DOS Driver (V3.7) system freeze when the QD6580.sys is loaded. I got a screen that the driver ist init successfull but thats it.
I disabled also on my bios IDE Block Mode Transfer, but no effect.
I tryed running the installer with all the Speed settings and second options.. nothing.
When i uninstall the driver system boot fine..
Can this be a problem with my drive size?

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS