VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I know it's not so vintage but I have a problem with this rig.
I bought an AMD RADEON HD 7950 HIS IceQ Turbo 3gb to improve the video performance, power consumption and being able to run the newer games which were not working properly on the gtx 480.
The system worked without issues with the Nvidia card but with the amd as soon a 3d app starts and the fan starts to get noisy the screen gets corrupted for a second and then turn off.
Initially I thought the card was faulty but lucky enough I tried it on my AM4 system, there it works flawlessly.
I then started to troubleshoot the problem, I changed the psu (it's a 550w which didn't have problem with the more demanding gtx 480) with another one, I tried a clean windows 10 installation and the x3tc benchmark, it went fine for half of a minute, then as as soon the vga fan started to spin faster, screen corrupted and then black screen.
If I push the reset button when the system restarts it doesn't work, it starts to beep as the video card is not found.
I couldn't find any information about a general incompatibility between the X59 and those cards, I also tried my Radeon RX 580 in that system and again it works fine...
Any suggestion?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-10-13, 17:06:
Hello, I know it's not so vintage but I have a problem with this rig. I bought an AMD RADEON HD 7950 HIS IceQ Turbo 3gb to impro […]
Show full quote

Hello, I know it's not so vintage but I have a problem with this rig.
I bought an AMD RADEON HD 7950 HIS IceQ Turbo 3gb to improve the video performance, power consumption and being able to run the newer games which were not working properly on the gtx 480.
The system worked without issues with the Nvidia card but with the amd as soon a 3d app starts and the fan starts to get noisy the screen gets corrupted for a second and then turn off.
Initially I thought the card was faulty but lucky enough I tried it on my AM4 system, there it works flawlessly.
I then started to troubleshoot the problem, I changed the psu (it's a 550w which didn't have problem with the more demanding gtx 480) with another one, I tried a clean windows 10 installation and the x3tc benchmark, it went fine for half of a minute, then as as soon the vga fan started to spin faster, screen corrupted and then black screen.
If I push the reset button when the system restarts it doesn't work, it starts to beep as the video card is not found.
I couldn't find any information about a general incompatibility between the X59 and those cards, I also tried my Radeon RX 580 in that system and again it works fine...
Any suggestion?

Thanks

I used to have an Asus P6X58D Premium (before it died) and used it successfully with an AMD R9 270 (apparently a mostly rebranded Radeon HD 7870), which is a GCN 1.0 card like yours, but a much lower specced one .
I assume you are running the latest BIOS for your Asus board .

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-10-13, 17:42:

Yes I do, with added and updated microcodes since I use a Xeon cpu, I also tried to load the bios default setting but again it didn't help.

Long shot : how about setting PCI Express mode to 1.1 (if there is a BIOS option for that, not sure if my board had it).

Also, are you overclocking anything, especially the PCI Express bus ?