VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I have received a FIC PA-2010+ mobo. According to the PCB this is a rev 4.1 board.

The included BIOS chip seems to be an original Award bios chip, labelled 6.18J90Es. When booting, that's the version reported by POST, so looks OK.
But the HDD size is limited to 8GB so I start looking for updates BIOSes.

I visit fic's website on archive.org, and it seems each revision (4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.2A) have their own suite of different BIOSes. Screen at the bottom.

The 618J90E that I'm running isn't even there (under 4.0 only 617J90E is available) and other revisions have different naming conventions.

Having a 4.1 revision board, and luckily seeing the latest BIOS offered (113AB135) for that rev specifically mentions >8GB support for boards with VIA586A south bridge (yay! that's what I have), googling around I find that mirror of FIC's FTP (which also has the 618J90E i was initially running) so I download and try it. Computer boots fine, reports the correct version but...HDD autodetect hangs, and in any case I get a floppy error (C0)...bummer.

For the sake of it and having access to a TL866 programmer I download 6200J90E (in y2k folder), the readme says rev 4.0 bios but as it's the updated version of the one that worked fine, I flash a chip and try it...and everything works fine. But it's still limited to 8GB...double bummer.

It's weird that running BIOS for a rev4.0 while I have 4.1 are the ones working, and the specific BIOS for 4.1 doesn't work?
Are there any BIOS magicians around that have an idea?

FIC.JPG
Filename
FIC.JPG
File size
58.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 12, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested with a 425MB WD Caviar IDE HDD, a Maxtor 200GB IDE HDD, and a 120GB SSD with a (working) CF-IDE adapter. All those work with the 4.0 rev BIOS.

In any case something else must be wrong, as even with no HDD installed and configured in BIOS, there's is no floppy seek at boot at all, and it fails with "Floppy disk(s) fail (C0)". Of course the exact same setup works fine with rev 4.0 BIOS 😒

Reply 4 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the bios must be hanging because award bioses had a bug making them crash if the installed hdd was over 32GB. So now you don't have a 8GB limit but a 32GB limit. And also PCs made before 2003 can't work with HDDs larger than 128GB (and this is a hardware limit).

You may be capable of patching the latest bios to support larger HDDs up to 128GB but that's it.

I'm wondering if between the revs they didn't change the super io chip which would mean that with the latest bios, it doesn't have the right ""driver"" for super io meaning that floppy disks won't work, same for serial and parallel

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 12, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fair enough, I can live with the limit, I was just trying to get the max potential out of it. I didn't know bigger HDD's could make the BIOS hang, as I'm used to create a smaller partition in bigger drives and never had a problem with it so far.

About the super io comment, interesting but that still doesn't answer the main issue that doesn't make sense to me - my board is clearly a rev 4.1 board but only accepts 4.0 BIOS? And specific 4.1 BIOS for the specific south bridge that my MB has doesn't work? Can't find the logic in that 🙁

Reply 6 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not the south bridge, it's the I/O chip.

Now I'll have a look at the BIOS on fic's FTP (could you please upload your bios here too) to check what they're made for so I can confirm or infirm my theory.

Sometimes even board manufacturers make mistakes, this could be one of them ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 12, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh, I said south bridge because of this mention on the Soyo website about it "this beta BIOS is for VIA586A south bridge only"

Attaching two BIOS files:

6200J90E is the one meant for 4.0 and I'm successfully running
113AB135 is the one meant for 4.1 that I want to run but doesn't work

Board rev number and chip:

via.jpg
Filename
via.jpg
File size
67.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Thank you so much for looking into this!

Attachments

• Filename
    113AB135.zip
    File size
    110.15 KiB
    Downloads
    30 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    6200J90E.zip
    File size
    99.85 KiB
    Downloads
    29 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it seems that your BIOS doesn't have the information I was looking for so I can't really say if my assumption was correct or not 🙁

Meanwhile, you can attempt to patch your bios using this tool for MS-DOS to improve HDD support ^^
http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … =188943#p188943

Reply 10 of 12, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-10-15, 17:00:

Meanwhile, you can attempt to patch your bios using this tool for MS-DOS to improve HDD support ^^

Is that Award specific, or for any BIOS? Added to my toolkit, but possibly needs moving to the right directory

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 12 of 12, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-10-15, 17:00:

Well it seems that your BIOS doesn't have the information I was looking for so I can't really say if my assumption was correct or not 🙁

Hey man, thank you so much! 😁

So I patched the 4.1 rom file with the tool you provided, and now I'm able to detect drives up to 136GB, and it also fixed my floppy error as well? Awesome! So maybe it was linked to the award bug with bigger drives you were talking about?

Everything's looking good and I'm back in business working on that build 😉 really thanks a whole lot!