VOGONS

486 PSU questions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-18, 01:56:
You have the external battery connector on backward, pin 1 is red I think you should have JP1 open (the one right next to the ke […]
Show full quote
Aublak wrote on 2020-10-18, 01:36:
Cosmetically, the board is in great shape. I can't find anything wrong with it. […]
Show full quote

Cosmetically, the board is in great shape. I can't find anything wrong with it.

I have a bag full of 72-pin ram, but I can only identify a handful of it.

This is my last configuration. Used all of the ram I had on it.

Here's a chart of my config https://imgur.com/a/Z6jzpGv

You have the external battery connector on backward, pin 1 is red
I think you should have JP1 open (the one right next to the keyboard port) to make it use an external battery. I can't see it on the latest picture but on one of the earlier ones there was still a jumper on it.
JP18 (between two of the VLB slots) need not be closed since you're 33 MHz, although this won't stop it from booting.

None of this stuff should prevent it from booting though 🙁
In fact, I believe this board works fine with no battery attached at all.
One of those 16MB 72-pin SIMMs should work fine; I have a similar simm working in my version of this board. Just might have to push hard to make sure it latches in place.
You said you use the same video card on a 386, right?
Is that 486DX2-66 your only 486 cpu and if so you're sure it's good?

And don't think you mentioned - when powering this on, the power supply fan spins and nothing happens, or the power supply refuses to come on?

Yeah, the speaker is on backwards, but I did that on purpose. I thought that maybe I reversed the wires when I made the battery. It was just me second guessing myself.

JP1 was always open. The jumper is just hanging alone on pin1.

I've been using a CL-GD5320-36QC-B video card for ISA testing. It works on both my 386 board and my Slot 1 motherboard.

PSU fan spins. Nothing happens. CPU gets a little warm.

jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-18, 02:01:

Another thing to try is put the board on a flash hard surface and push down on both ends of the AMIBIOS chip with both thumbs--may feel it snap back down into place if it needs reseated

pushed down. still nothing.

It may be the cpu.
I had a 486dx2/50 earlier. I figured that one was a dud, so I traded that in for a 486dx2/66. The recycler is a nice guy so he let's me do this for free.

I have two other AM5x86s, but I don't believe they'll work on this board.

Attachments