VOGONS

First post, by MII-233

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I'm currently looking at some heatsinks for the 1266 Tualatins in my Supermicro P3TDDE, and I've just got a real simple question. I'm not very familiar with the IHS P3's in regards to coolers, and on Ebay I came across some Cooler Master CM-MF370 heatsinks and was just wondering if these would play nicely with the extra height from the IHS. Last thing I want to do is break the tabs on the socket trying to mount them because the metal bracket isn't meant for the extra height or some nonsense like that. 😜

Link to heatsinks in question: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooler-Master-Socket … Swnr9bV6Xm#rwid

Zenith: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 80GB Barracuda 7200.9 (OS+Programs) + 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (games), Windows XP Pro SP3

944TreU.gif

Reply 1 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That cooler is for FC-PGA and others without the IHS, so wouldn't be suitable, unless you are willing and able to bend the clip so that it can cope with the extra height.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First of all, that's not Socket 370 cooler, but Socket A/370 cooler. So it may or may not be compatible. It's hard to say without exact model number. I would recommend Titan TTC-D5TB or something similar, it has universal mounting clip for any Socket 7/370/A CPU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Cooler Master DP5-5G11A is rated for 1.4 GHz Tualatins and I have two of these in my twin Tully rig.

ETA: I posted a picture of them in operation in this thread: Dual Tualatin 1.4 GHz build - motherboard selection

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2020-10-17, 18:35:

Any socket 7 cooler will sit comfortably on a tualatin CPU.

Socket 7 coolers are not suitable for Tualatins anyway due to their relatively lackluster cooling performance.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-18, 11:23:

Socket 7 coolers are not suitable for Tualatins anyway due to their relatively lackluster cooling performance.

I have no idea why I wrote socket 7. What I meant to write was socket A. Here's what I use for my tualatin builds:

d5t-tc-1.jpg
Filename
d5t-tc-1.jpg
File size
45.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:39:

I have no idea why I wrote socket 7. What I meant to write was socket A. Here's what I use for my tualatin builds:

d5t-tc-1.jpg

Could've been a brainfart, no man overboard 😜

Those look pretty formidable for any Tualatin btw 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 10, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, be careful what you say on a thread like this. You don't want people to fry their systems or break their sockets/CPUs because of faulty advice.

ETA: Related thread: Cooling solutions for modded Tualatin P3 1.4S (Slot 1 to S370 slotket).

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 9 of 10, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-18, 23:08:
Socket3 wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:39:

d5t-tc-1.jpg

Could've been a brainfart, no man overboard 😜

Those look pretty formidable for any Tualatin btw 😀

They're aluminium heatsinks with a copper core and an 80mm fan, made by a taiwanese (or chinese?) company named Titan. These were very popular in my country in the socket A days so they're pretty easy to find and dirt cheap. You can find almost identical coolers on aliexpress.

Reply 10 of 10, by MII-233

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-10-17, 17:46:

That cooler is for FC-PGA and others without the IHS, so wouldn't be suitable, unless you are willing and able to bend the clip so that it can cope with the extra height.

Well I've certainly done worse to this poor system, so that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks f or the input, everyone. 😜

Zenith: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 80GB Barracuda 7200.9 (OS+Programs) + 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (games), Windows XP Pro SP3

944TreU.gif