VOGONS

First post, by pelichanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I am trying to build a 486 dos machine. The board I want to use is an Octec EP40085R12 Rev. 1.2. from 1993. It works so far, however, I would like to upgrade the CPU to an DX33 (SX25 at the moment). For that I would need to adjust the jumper settings and I dont have any information on how to do that.

Does anyone have the manual/jumper info for this specific board?

The board:

mb2.JPG
Filename
mb2.JPG
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Detail:

mb1.JPG
Filename
mb1.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a "Octek HIPPO COM" 486 board.
There is an odd doc set here: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/octek/ … 0COM/index.html

added: OK.... converted the old Word Pefect 1993 formated files to newer MS Word .DOC and Adobe .PDF. Not that great of a conversion but they are readable....
The docs are: BIOS Setup, Board Manual V1.0 and Manual v1.1

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by pelichanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perfect! I remember stumbeling upon these files when I did a quick google research. I couldnt make sense of what kind of files these actually were though. It did not came to my mind that it could be a legacy word processor format... So, thanks a lot for the conversion, Horun! 😀

For anyone with the same problem:

The board I was looking for information for is the Octek HIPPO COM Rev. 1.2. The zip archive contains the manuals for the board versions 1.0 and 1.1. The description of the 1.0 version in the respective manual differs a lot from what the 1.2 version actually looks like (e.g. more ISA slots). The info in the 1.1 version manual, on the other hand, fits perfectly to what you find on the 1.2 version board (number of slots, jumpers...). I gave it a try, upgraded the CPU to the DX33, set the jumpers for FSB speed and CPU type accordingly and everything seems to work as it should. So if you got the Rev. 1.2 version of this board, it seems you can use the Rev. 1.1 manual.

Reply 3 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pelichanic wrote on 2020-10-19, 21:29:

For anyone with the same problem:

The board I was looking for information for is the Octek HIPPO COM Rev. 1.2. The zip archive contains the manuals for the board versions 1.0 and 1.1. The description of the 1.0 version in the respective manual differs a lot from what the 1.2 version actually looks like (e.g. more ISA slots). The info in the 1.1 version manual, on the other hand, fits perfectly to what you find on the 1.2 version board (number of slots, jumpers...). I gave it a try, upgraded the CPU to the DX33, set the jumpers for FSB speed and CPU type accordingly and everything seems to work as it should. So if you got the Rev. 1.2 version of this board, it seems you can use the Rev. 1.1 manual.

Great ! Could you post one more closeup picture of the motherboard ? the BIOS area where the front panel headers and the jumper next to the BIOS are a bit hard to read,
am going to try to make a "line-drawn" layout for the Octek Hippo COM.
Also if you could try NISSI and save your current BIOS and post it it will be of great help to others. Thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I've been reading on vogons, nssi is bad at dumping bios.
Can you try this too ?

Filename
GETROM.ZIP
File size
25.69 KiB
Downloads
37 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 8, by pelichanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already installed the board in a case, so here is a mixture of pictures I took before without paying attention to specific details and some images I could take after opening the case (with the board installed). I hope, Horum, that everything you need is visible...

details (5).JPG
Filename
details (5).JPG
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
details (4).JPG
Filename
details (4).JPG
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
details (3).JPG
Filename
details (3).JPG
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
details (2).JPG
Filename
details (2).JPG
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
details (1).JPG
Filename
details (1).JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pelichanic wrote on 2020-10-20, 20:23:

I already installed the board in a case, so here is a mixture of pictures I took before without paying attention to specific details and some images I could take after opening the case (with the board installed). I hope, Horum, that everything you need is visible...

Yes that is great ! Thanks !
Download the Getrom.zip file Deksor attached. You want to unzip the files on bootable floppy disk that does not load memory managers, then run ROMSAVAT.exe and it will write the bios file to the floppy....