VOGONS

First post, by teiresias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have this slotket and can tell me what the "CPU Type Selection" jumper actually does? The instructions say the two positions distinguish between either "PPGA370" or "Coppermine". Is this really just trying to distinguish between a PPGA and a FC-PGA (were all coppermines FCPGA?). If so I'm wondering why the jumper is currently in the position for PPGA370. The CPU in the slotket right now is a Celeron 566 which I know for a fact I ran on my Abit BH6 v1.01 back in the day (and is the motherboard I'm using for this build), and it's obviously a FCPGA with the die on top but I can't imagine I'd have messed with the jumpers when I took the system apart, so it apparently ran with that jumper set to PPGA370 rather than Coppermine with no ill effects. That's why I'm asking what that jumper actually does - hardware wise. Should I change it to "Coppermine" when I rebuild it?

(I also have a Pentium 3 600E I got from a friend's old discarded computer that I may put in instead if I can determine if the BH6 supports it, though I assume the Celeron would be a better performance choice if it will clock to 850 at 100fsb - I assume I bought it due to the overclock potential - not sure how much the cache difference makes).

Reply 1 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a recently ended listing for the SlotKET !!! (v1.0 without the voltage clamp) with the same Celeron 566 and they have it jumpered to Coppermine / auto FSB / 1.6 V core (an overvolt)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Celeron-566MHz … =p2047675.l2557

If you're remembering correctly, maybe it doesn't make much difference how you set it for Coppermine-128 core cpus.

Filename
ABIT SlotKET !!! v1.0.pdf
File size
1.51 MiB
Downloads
121 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teiresias wrote on 2020-10-19, 03:17:

Does anyone have this slotket and can tell me what the "CPU Type Selection" jumper actually does? The instructions say the two positions distinguish between either "PPGA370" or "Coppermine". Is this really just trying to distinguish between a PPGA and a FC-PGA (were all coppermines FCPGA?). If so I'm wondering why the jumper is currently in the position for PPGA370. The CPU in the slotket right now is a Celeron 566 which I know for a fact I ran on my Abit BH6 v1.01 back in the day (and is the motherboard I'm using for this build), and it's obviously a FCPGA with the die on top but I can't imagine I'd have messed with the jumpers when I took the system apart, so it apparently ran with that jumper set to PPGA370 rather than Coppermine with no ill effects. That's why I'm asking what that jumper actually does - hardware wise. Should I change it to "Coppermine" when I rebuild it?

Yes, all Coppermines and Coppermine core Celerons are FCPGA; the earlier Mendocino generation is PPGA.
Do you have the voltage on your slotket also set to 'Auto' or have you set it up for a precise voltage ?

Reply 3 of 4, by teiresias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks both of you for the insight!

Hmmm, maybe I would have been ridiculous and set everything back to default since both the voltage and fsb jumpers are set to auto (I guess the fsb would have been better controlled via the BH6 BIOS anyway). Looking around, perhaps I was stable with the bios allowed adjustments and didn't need to raise base voltage using the slotket? Who knows, I was like 21 at the time, I may not have thought to even do stability testing, haha!

I was mainly concerned with whether the cpu type selector jumper changed something in the actual pinout, since I'm not really sure (and am having a hard time finding info online) what the differences are between the pga370 and fc variant that made incompatibilities occur.

Reply 4 of 4, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The exact technicalities are above my head but I have encountered warnings re not running FCPGA (Coppermine) chips with PPGA (Mendocino) settings on slotkets a couple of times. I guess that with the Abit slotket it does not matter.
For example this thread deals with the subject:
Re: Socket PPGA and FC-PGA Slot-1 Slotkets.

And this article deals with ASUS BX motherboards but part of the recommendations apply to all BX boards:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190319061355/ht … pgrade_faq.html
[[Question: To what settings should the jumpers be set on the slotket?
A: This depends on the slotket and your cpu. The possible jumper settings are usually printed on the back of the slotket. There are two settings which are important however most times:
The voltage (if your slotket has voltage adjustment jumpers). If you have a board not capable of delivering voltages below 1.8V, you need to set these jumpers to 1.8V if you want to use a cpu with a coppermine core.
The cpu type jumper. There is often a jumper called celeron/coppermine, which is a bit confusing, since for coppermine based Celerons (533A and higher) you must set this to coppermine. So, for old celerons (up to 533), use the celeron setting, for anything else (including newer Celerons, PIII, modified Tualatins) set it to coppermine. On some slotkets, the jumper might have a better name, like ppga/fcpga. In this case, set it to ppga for old Celerons, fcpga for anything else.
The FSB setting of the slotket can safely be ignored, since you need to set it on the board anyways (at least on the boards of the P2B family).]]