Reply 140 of 161, by pioner666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jnnelson79 wrote on 2024-02-14, 13:37:
After searching part numbers, I found this one on Amazon of all places. […]
Show full quote
vorob wrote on 2024-02-06, 16:40:

Anyone remember the specs of RTC battery in our laptop? Wanna buy a new one.

After searching part numbers, I found this one on Amazon of all places.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD25BCK/ … e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't had time to install it yet, but the part numbers matched what I found. after my research.

Thanks for the battery bios part number - already ordered for my laptop. also want to try repackaging the battery

Reply 141 of 161, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[quote=pioner666 post_id=1234839
Thanks for the battery bios part number - already ordered for my laptop. also want to try repackaging the battery
[/quote]

Sir if you’ll do repacking make a guide please. With photos and so on.

Reply 142 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I finally found a 402!!! I’ve been looking for over a year. This one was on eBay, and it is in excellent condition, even including the stickers. There’s just a little bit of wear on the palm rest energy sticker and that’s about it!

It works perfectly, and the scaling is amazing! I already have a 401, so it’s cool to see them both working in their own ways!

Hope you can see the attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9671.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9671.jpeg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 143 of 161, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this really looks like mint condition! Congratulations. Take care about hinges, if you notice they are getting tight, disassemble it immediately and clean / reoil them or else case will brake.

What was the title for this lot on eBay? I’m subscribed for Toshiba 2805 but didn’t see this.

Reply 144 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vorob wrote on 2024-02-18, 05:32:

Wow, this really looks like mint condition! Congratulations. Take care about hinges, if you notice they are getting tight, disassemble it immediately and clean / reoil them or else case will brake.

What was the title for this lot on eBay? I’m subscribed for Toshiba 2805 but didn’t see this.

Thanks! It was listed as Vintage Toshiba Satellite 2805 Laptop

Very happy with it so far! I’m having trouble getting Duke3D to run with vxd drivers but I see that’s a common issue. It runs fine if I select Sound Canvas for Music and no sound card for sound effects.

Other strange issue is that if I use the WDM drivers, there is no sound in any DosBox games, most likely because there is no legacy sound system. It’s really weird. My 401 doesn’t have this issue, but the 401 is on Win98SE and the 402 is on the stock WinME.

Reply 145 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-21, 04:54:
:) ya, I have been experimenting a bit lately with the WDM driver for the 2805. And found that after I unistalled the driver. […]
Show full quote

😀 ya, I have been experimenting a bit lately with the WDM driver for the 2805. And found that after I unistalled the driver. I used uniextract on the cab file, and I can force the device manager to install it as "Yamaha DS-XG Leacy Sound System (WDM)" which is missing from the defualt install. No issues at all and it allows you to change some varables like the input outpot ranges of SB, FM, and GM in software for dosbox not that it matters. It also unlocks Sondius XG tab to enable or disable Synthesizer effects.

I might mod the drivers if I get around to it to do this by defualt. Sinces its way better.

Other experiment I did was use some tricks to install 2 Primary Fat32 Partiotions on the same HDD and 2 copys of 98se. Now I have 1 install with WDM drivers, and One with VXD drivers. So I get better compatibility with games. The VXD drivers, work with PowerYMF so you can use a 4mb wavetable, and work with YMFutilities. While the WDMs don't so there are tradeoffs. WDMS are a lot more forgiving, in dos games that can use dosbox that hate the VXD drivers like duke3d. VXDs work alot better with games that dont flake out like DOOM. Games that use MIDI extensivly if they work with VXDs than VXDs are better.

Anyways theres not another laptop like these. All of the other ones the comprimises are too great. You eiter have bad video, bad audio, or a combination.

contemporaneously with this one you get good video and workible audio. That wasn't availible in anything else together at the time, and never availible in anything else afterwords. Funny thing is no one ever cared about this laptop. I don't even think it sold well.

Hello! Can you explain how you isolated the legacy audio driver from the WDM package? I’m not quite following what you posted above.

My 402 works perfectly on every DOS game I’ve tried except Duke3D. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Duke3D doesn’t like the VXD drivers at all. However, if I go back to the WDM, I get no sound in any DOS game at all inside of Windows. I’m using the stock Windows ME installation for now, but I don’t think 98 would be any different.

Any advice on how to get Duke3D working? It works with just music enabled through Sound Canvas and sound effects disabled, but that’s no fun. 😀

Thanks in advance!

Reply 147 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vorob wrote on 2024-02-18, 10:08:

Just play build games in pure dos, that's the way.

That works for sure, but I don’t think you can get that awesome general midi / sound canvas sound working in pure dos, right?

Reply 149 of 161, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yamaha softsynth xg (lite)?

It came bundled with eidos ff7 for pc, bitd. A little cpu hungry, but could fake out being a general midi device in dos games run under windows, as I recall.

Kinda a shit bandaid if you have hardware xg present... but meh.

As for getting general midi working... does the xg synth support an mpu401 'compatible' interface?

Could say, the parallel port opl2 driver be modified to redirect mpu401 to its io port?

Reply 150 of 161, by Guigui59210

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, being the new owner of a 2800-500 that I was able to obtain on ebay, I wanted to know if someone was able to upload bios 1.20 because it's no longer downloadable from the Toshiba site, my 2800- 500 has bios 1.6X but the fan is really noisy, I thought I read that an earlier version allows it to run more slowly

Reply 151 of 161, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guigui59210 wrote on 2024-02-26, 20:50:

Hello, being the new owner of a 2800-500 that I was able to obtain on ebay, I wanted to know if someone was able to upload bios 1.20 because it's no longer downloadable from the Toshiba site, my 2800- 500 has bios 1.6X but the fan is really noisy, I thought I read that an earlier version allows it to run more slowly

Looks like I have 1.20 here for the 2800-500, hopefully that works for you.

Attachments

Reply 153 of 161, by Guigui59210

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-02-27, 02:09:

Hooo thank you very much I test that when I return to my house! 👍🏻

Reply 154 of 161, by Guigui59210

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vorob wrote on 2024-02-27, 06:57:

It’s funny to note that 2805 uses thermal pads instead of thermal paste as heat conductive. Same thing I saw in other pentium 3 laptops. 🤔

I don't know if replacing it with a newer one will provide better refresh performance.

Reply 155 of 161, by Guigui59210

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-02-27, 02:09:

I tested and everything is fine, the fan is much more adjusted with bios version 1.20, perfect! THANKS

Reply 156 of 161, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vorob wrote on 2024-02-18, 05:32:

I’m definitely noticing the hinges getting tight now. The weird thing is that my 401 that I’ve had for a year now seems fine. Is there a disassembly guide anywhere, or does anyone here have video or photos of disassembly? I’ve repaired a Toshiba 400CDT and an IBM 701C Butterfly, but they had really comprehensive service manuals.

I’ve got the white lithium grease for the hinges, and it worked great on the 701C which had completely frozen hinges. I’m just nervous about taking this apart blindly since it’s so rare. I don’t want to break any plastic since a lot of these older laptops are held together with plastic clips. The 400CDT is much older but also had several brittle pieces break during disassembly.

Any advice you can give is appreciated!!