386 with VLB, suggestions?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Bancho @kixs
I have added Bancho's photo to UH19 :http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5531
Would you like to upload your bios (or at least a POST screen image), so I can identify the manufacturer (I suspect Dataexpert, but I need that for a confirmation)

@quicknick I added your image to the page because it's better 😀
Can you confirm that VLB doesn't work on your board ? I can add this statement, but a double check is better than just one ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Deksor - thanks, kind of a cluttered background, learned to take better ones meanwhile 😀 . This one is resized 50%, can send you the full one if you want.
I confirm VLB does not work on either board, at least for VGAs - tried a bunch of them and no boot. The +5v and GND pins match VLB pinout, checked beforehand.
Would be great to solve the mystery of the unworkable VLB on these boards, maybe open up a separate thread about it?

Reply 22 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I recall right, a VLB card doesn’t help much on the PGA132 platform unless you are using a 486 CPU, like the DLC, DRx, or SXL. I have some benchmark results on Vogons but can’t find them at the moment. Best hybrid board I’ve come across was a Daewoo branded board based on, I think, the ALi M1429 chipset. That board even worked with an IBM BL3 interposer, but unfortunately the interposer blocks both VLB slots.

Last edited by feipoa on 2020-10-20, 20:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 25 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
quicknick wrote on 2020-10-20, 18:09:
Got this board (a pair of them, actually) and the VLB slot doesn't work even with a 486 installed (haven't tried a 386 as it req […]
Show full quote

Got this board (a pair of them, actually) and the VLB slot doesn't work even with a 486 installed (haven't tried a 386 as it requires soldering a PQFP one which I don't have).
As a matter of fact, in the elhvb description it is stated that the VLB doesn't function. Strange board.

Looking at the photos above, I wonder if the 486 socket doubles as a 387 socket when there's a 386 soldered...

495SX.jpg

Maybe like the FX 3000 board, the slot isn't really VLB but another type of local bus.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 27 of 28, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@QuickNick: Intriguing board. It even supports the 486SX QFP. I really wonder why they added the VLB slot if it's non functional. Can you probe some pins of the VLB to see if it provides VCC and maybe some signals?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 28 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The +5v and GND pins are where they should be, no magic smoke was released. Guess I could re-visit those boards, but I wouldn't know what other signals to look for. And I'll be on the lookout when PQFP 386/486 turn up on cpu-world.