VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awhile back I picked up this new-old stock case for a 386 based project. I did not realize just how huge it was... and the fact it takes a full size AT power supply.

I've since moved the 386 project to another case... which leaves me wondering what I could use this gigantic case and power supply combo for? What would have such a combo been likely used for historically? A server? Dual/quad processor workstation?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks cool, in both senses of the word. Tiny AT cases with poor ventilation are a problem once you begin to add toasty video cards like the Voodoo2.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well a giant case is for giant motherboard.

I have a 486 ISA board with 16 x 30 pin SIMM slots and a Weitek socket I plan on using with one of my full tower AT cases (the motherboard barely fit into a midsize ATX case I have). Another option would be a dual processor AT board (Dual P1's in my case). Anything much newer will probably be ATX.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AntiRevisionism wrote on 2020-10-21, 00:23:

A server? Dual/quad processor workstation?

Yep, no name servers were still very common till roughly early 2000's
I've a similar case that was an old Netware server. Dual slot 1 MB (with only a single P2 400 installed) bunch of SCSI HDD's, tape drive, those front bays start to fill quick. Also good at generating heat which is why it's quite nice having the HDD's located away from the M/B

Reply 5 of 8, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting are the Slot covers on both sides of the Keyboard port, I only saw few motherboards with this config.
Perfect match would be a 486 or early Pentium Server Board, eg. AMI Enterprise III or Asus T2P4D(S).

Reply 6 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That case looks pretty nice actually. Have you ever weighed it?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 8, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-10-22, 11:38:

That case looks pretty nice actually. Have you ever weighed it?

I have not, but it's quite heavy compared to all my other cases. It actually has wheels on the bottom for moving it around.
Looks like the original seller still has a couple for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173847770911