VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a case where there are clips on the top lid that groove in to the frame to seal it up. The inside of the lid is galvanized, so that won't take paint without removal of the zinc. I don't really want to paint this, just stop the rust on those clips that are permanently attached to the inside of the case lid. I can wire brush the rust and clean it with vinegar. This will remove the zinc on the lid anywhere vinegar comes in contact during the job. Then I'd like to seal those clips, to prevent future rust. I've looked in to cold zinc sprays, but many complain that they flake off. Being internal and conductive this would be a disaster for a motherboard. I've considered applying clear enamel nail polish on the exposed areas. What suggestions do you have for sealing the exposed metal to prevent rust?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.
TW

Reply 1 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've painted zinc successfully numerous times with no flaking. I just wash it with ammonia & water first, lightly sand it with 240 grit, then wipe it down good. I have had success with rustoleum self-etching metal primer + paint. That's really your best bet to seal it up to prevent future rust.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 4, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One the exterior, there are only a few small holes of rust. I was pondering cleaning those spots only, then using appliance touch up. Once done, cleaning and lightly sanding it all, and spraying down with almond appliance epoxy spray. Will that stick to the existing paint as long as it is clean and the shine is dulled a bit?

Thanks,
TW

Reply 3 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will want to use a self etching metal primer. That is key to not having the paint flake off easily. I am unsure of epoxy appliance spray. You would have to read the instructions and consumer reviews.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals