VOGONS

First post, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings all from North Wales UK
I have been ordered to reduce my collection or what a certain person rudely calls junk! cheek!
I have 3 boards and am looking to keep one for maximum compatibility for 98se and possibly DOS gaming using a pci Yamaha XG YMF744 and was looking for confirmation on which to pass on? I'm also trying to discover the ATX power standard these boards use?

1 ASUS A7S8X-MX SIS741GX
2 ASUS K8V-X-SE K8T800
3 IS-10 865G (I think manufactured by ABIT but is a OEM without AGP slot!)

Regards
Zack

Reply 1 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3 boards and it's too many? I have so many that I lost count at 100 😀

If you only have to get rid of, just think which you will miss least. I would see if there is one you can't find drivers with - possibly the OEM

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 6, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get rid of the "rude" person giving the orders!

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 3 of 6, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I had to pick one, I'd keep #2. It has the most expansion slots and a proven VIA chipset. #1 would have been an interesting mini build, but it has limited potential with so few slots. #3 is dicey, and I wouldn't want to hitch my only retro-wagon to an OEM board. Good luck!

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree with schlomoe99 go with the ASUS K8V-X-SE K8T800 VIA chipset and 4 PCI slots are it's big selling points.
Just be aware that chipset has issue with SATA 2 or above drives. IDE, drives that allow you to jumper it to SATA 1 or a PCI SATA card are the cheap easy work arounds.

Even if the ASUS A7S8X had a more desirable chipset 2 PCI slots will limit upgrade options.

The chipset in the IS-10 865G would actually be my preferred choice, but not at the sacrifice of AGP