VOGONS

Socket 5 pentium on socket 7 motherboard.

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have couple intel socket 5 AT motherboards and I was considering building a pentium pc. I also have a socket 7 soyo sy-5ema+ atx motherboard and since socket 7 and socket 5 are compatible using the atx motherboard would give me few advantages. I could use more modern atx power supply and use ps/2 mouse and keyboard with the system with the atx motherboard. The atx motherboard would also give me more options with video cards because of the agp slot and I could use newer type of memory modules.

Are there any other advantages like would the soyo motherboard bios support larger hard drives than intel AT socket 5 motherboard would?
One of the problems I see for using the soyo motherboard is that I don't see the option to use 60Mhz bus speed for pentium CPUs in the manual I saw online.
Another disadvantage is that an ATX case would probably not be very period correct for a pentium system.
I read intel triton chipsets are pretty good when I read about them online. Would I lose anything in regards to that with ETEQ chipset that is on the soyo motherboard?
Any other disadvantages when using the soyo motherboard?
Main goal for my build would be to use a voodoo 1 card and awe64 cards to play early 3dfx games/late dos games. I have not decided yet if I am going to just stick with dos or also install win95. I was originally just going to build with the intel motherboard, but all my AT power supplies are quite low quality ones from cheaper PCs of that time period.

Reply 1 of 61, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are many advantages of socket 7 or super 7 over Socket 5 (too many to list)

But my experience with the MVP3 chipset (ETEK) is quite poor due to drivers and compatibility issues. AGP port on socket 7 has plenty of compatibility issues as well. YMMV

Soyo SY-5EMA+ in perfect working order, worth it?

Good Luck

Reply 2 of 61, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Soyo is a SS7 so there would be no 60Mhz support, just like the FIC VA-503+ and other PCI/AGP SS7. Mainly designed for MMX, K6, K6-2, etc.
Should work fine for late DOS games...

rmay635703 wrote on 2020-10-25, 01:05:

There are many advantages of socket 7 or super 7 over Socket 5 (too many to list)
AGP port on socket 7 has plenty of compatibility issues as well. YMMV

Right ! should use a good PCI video card instead.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
There are many advantages of socket 7 or super 7 over Socket 5 (too many to list) […]
Show full quote

But my experience with the MVP3 chipset (ETEK) is quite poor due to drivers and compatibility issues. AGP port on socket 7 has plenty of compatibility issues as well. YMMV

Soyo SY-5EMA+ in perfect working order, worth it?

Good Luck

I would still want to know details of what those advantages are. The thread you linked is more about if it is worth paying that kind of money for the motherboard upgrade and does not help in my case. I don't even remember where I got the soyo motherboard so it was probably in some pc that I got for free or almost free that I took apart. What kind of driver and compatibility issues there are exactly with the motherboard?
What about the hard drive sizes. How large ide drive I would be able to use with the soyo motherboard compared to intel AT motherboard?

Reply 4 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-10-25, 01:08:
The Soyo is a SS7 so there would be no 60Mhz support, just like the FIC VA-503+ and other PCI/AGP SS7. Mainly designed for MMX, […]
Show full quote

The Soyo is a SS7 so there would be no 60Mhz support, just like the FIC VA-503+ and other PCI/AGP SS7. Mainly designed for MMX, K6, K6-2, etc.

Thanks. I only have 90Mhz, 100Mhz and 120Mhz pentium chips, so I assume 100Mhz one is the best for it in general. Do you happen to know anything about what would be the max hard drive size on the soyo motherboard?

Reply 6 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While testing the soyo motherboard I came across a strange issue. Why a keytronic keyboard from 2001 would not work with this motherboard? The keyboard isn't recognized at all while standard IBM model M keyboard works fine with the motherboard. Never had this kind of problem come up before.

Reply 7 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Soyo is a SS7 so there would be no 60Mhz support, just like the FIC VA-503+ and other PCI/AGP SS7. Mainly designed for MMX, […]
Show full quote

The 60Mhz FSB setting may not be listed, but has a good chance of existing. You just need to look at the datasheet for the clockgen that is on the motherboard to see if it supports anything lower than 66Mhz fsb.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-25, 06:20:
Show full quote

The 60Mhz FSB setting may not be listed, but has a good chance of existing. You just need to look at the datasheet for the clockgen that is on the motherboard to see if it supports anything lower than 66Mhz fsb.

How do I recognize the clockgen on the motherboard?
there are 3 switches on the motherboard that control the fsb.
off-off-off 66Mhz
off-off-on 100Mhz
off-on-off 75Mhz
on-on-off 85Mhz
on-off-on 95Mhz

These are on the manual, so that would leave on-on-on, off-on-on and on-off-off combinations to be the only ones not mentioned there

Edit: Looking at manual of later revision of the motherboard it seems that off-on-on is 112Mhz and on-off-off is 124Mhz and that would leave on-on-on the only possible combination.

Edit: Found the last combination. on-on-on seems to be 68Mhz. It is written on a table on the motherboard.

Last edited by Baoran on 2020-10-25, 06:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 61, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the sy-5ema+ I am pretty sure it is the ic nestled between the RAM slots, AGP slot and the Northbridge chip.

on-on-on might be 68.5... depends on if the different revisions use the same exact clockgen.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 61, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-25, 01:23:

I would still want to know details of what those advantages are.

I think the main advantages of S7 over S5 are better and more stable chipsets (some with PCI dividers for 83MHz fsb), potentially more features and a much larger CPU selection.

Reply 13 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-25, 07:11:

I think the main advantages of S7 over S5 are better and more stable chipsets (some with PCI dividers for 83MHz fsb), potentially more features and a much larger CPU selection.

I always thought intel triton chipsets were considered to be very stable. Was I mistaken?

Reply 14 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-25, 07:04:

Yes, almost 100% sure that is it.

This is what I found under the sticker. Unfortunately google didn't find anything when I put those numbers and letters there.

chip2.jpg
Filename
chip2.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gbeirn wrote on 2020-10-25, 08:15:

Thank you very much. Unfortunately there is no 60Mhz there. Quite limited amount of frequency selections there.

Reply 17 of 61, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to clarify, if it has an AGP slot then it’s a “super socket 7” motherboard, not “socket 7”. I think there is a small misunderstanding here between these two terms.

Reply 18 of 61, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-10-25, 07:27:
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-25, 07:11:

I always thought intel triton chipsets were considered to be very stable. Was I mistaken?

You were not mistaken. Still the 430HX (Triton II) tops it in terms of features and speed.

Reply 19 of 61, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devius wrote on 2020-10-25, 10:18:

Just to clarify, if it has an AGP slot then it’s a “super socket 7” motherboard, not “socket 7”. I think there is a small misunderstanding here between these two terms.

I always thought term super socket 7 was just used to differentiate it when a socket 7 motherboard could do 100Mhz bus speed and if I was going to use it with older pentium cpu that doesn't need higher bus speeds it could be considered same as just socket 7 motherboard. The motherboards were called by the actual socket that you put the cpu in and this one has just standard socket 7 socket. The importance to differentiate would come if I were to build a system that needs the 100Mhz fsb to tell others that I have a motherboard that supports those cpus. Same as if someone had called socket 370 motherboards that support tualatin cpus "super socket 370 motherboards."