VOGONS

First post, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I've just been through an adventure setting up a Powermate 386/33i... as you'll realise if you read the "how-to" info I've just posted for posterity. 😀

The one thing I'm yet to resolve is that it's running quite slowly. (Apparently the Powermate 386s were a bit slow anyway).

• NSSI benchmarks it at about the same speed as a 386DX-25, and reports the CPU as AMD not Intel. (Similar results with sysinfo, topbench)
  • It's meant to have 32kb (I think) of external cache but cachechk reports none
  • Setting the startup system speed to High or Low makes no difference
  • Enabling / disabling cache in the BIOS makes no difference (but this could be a setup utility issue; see other post)
  • NEC's turbo.exe utility (found in DOS 3.3 on winworldpc.com) doesn't do anything
  • NEC's winturbo.exe from the SX20C hardware utilities doesn't do anything
  • Key combinations like Alt Ctrl numpad +/- don't do anything

The conclusion I'm left with so far is that the cache is faulty and/or CPU damaged, or these are just slow and benchmarks are inaccurate. (I'm yet to do real world timing tests & compare to my other 386 systems)
Do you concur / any other ideas?

Anyone out there also have a Powermate 386/33i and can help?

Yes, that probably would have been a good question to ask before the adventure described in my other post... but we like the challenge of trying to solve things ourselves, right?! 😁

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got 5-pin DIN.
Roland addict and founding member of the Association Of Molex Haters

Reply 2 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, if the cache is non-functional, then I could see it benchmarking about the same as a 386-25 with cache.
Maybe one of the chips went bad, or needs to be re-seated.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 4, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-10-26, 16:16:

Well, if the cache is non-functional, then I could see it benchmarking about the same as a 386-25 with cache.
Maybe one of the chips went bad, or needs to be re-seated.

Yep, that's the way I'm thinking.
Unfortunately the cache chips are soldered on otherwise I'd have tried cleaning / reseating / replacing.

Reply 4 of 4, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-26, 16:13:

Post detailed photos of motherboard if you can.

Forgot to mention that there are no jumper or switch settings related to the cache, just in case that's what you wanted to check.
There's some relevant info here.
I'll take some pics when I can but in the meantime here's a pic of one from an eBay listing.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
344.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception