VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DolchFlexPAC wrote on 2021-01-10, 22:37:
Yes, modding one of my PS/1 mini-towers is exactly what I want a PS/1000 motherboard & riser card for. :) I've never seen many […]
Show full quote

Yes, modding one of my PS/1 mini-towers is exactly what I want a PS/1000 motherboard & riser card for. 😀
I've never seen many PS/1000's for sale, but I know that one was on ebay less than 5yrs ago.

In fact, I might be able to do this with just the PS/1000 riser card..... I could install it on the VLB board (pic below), that's currently in my PS/1 desktop unit, and transfer it into one of the mini-towers.....
** DOES ANYONE HAVE THE FRU # OR IBM PN # FOR THE DUAL-VLB SLOT RISER CARD FOR THE PS/1000? 😁

I would be nice to have a PS/1000 to complete my collection (maybe I'll be lucky enough to find one some day...), but I'd be fine with just an IBM 486 that has more than just 1 VLB slot (the ultimate 486 bus).
Both my mini-towers have been upgraded to Pentium (586) ISA/PCI systems, but as my heart & soul lie in the 486, I'd like to convert one of the mini-towers back down to one, using a PS/1000 board & riser, unless someone is aware of another option for me, still keeping with genuine IBM hardware. I think a PS/1000 is so difficult to find, that I may stumble on its hardware manual first, lols.

... It would awesome if I could find myself a Drive Cage (IBM FRU 03K9608) for the IBM 300PL 6892 model, too. It screws onto the piece of chassis frame that is found below the power supply.... See part #6 in the exploded view pic below. It's described as a "Hard Disk Drive Bracket " in the IBM PC300GL 6892 FRU parts list document.

Yeah, the one you're talking about (I assume) was in 2018. $3000.

Reply 21 of 33, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fact, I might be able to do this with just the PS/1000 riser card..... I could install it on the VLB board (pic below), that's currently in my PS/1 desktop unit, and transfer it into one of the mini-towers.....
** DOES ANYONE HAVE THE FRU # OR IBM PN # FOR THE DUAL-VLB SLOT RISER CARD FOR THE PS/1000? 😁

UlBhBXal.jpg for this? LMK I can go get it, it's in the basement.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 23 of 33, by DolchFlexPAC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-11, 03:43:
https://i.imgur.com/UlBhBXal.jpg for this? LMK I can go get it, it's in the basement. […]
Show full quote

UlBhBXal.jpg for this? LMK I can go get it, it's in the basement.

YESSIR! And thank you so much for finding my post, as I think there are only two of you on VOGONS that have a PS/1000, and I believe the other person is German.

That riser card is exactly what I'd like to try and install on my PS/1 desktop board, which also fits in the mini-towers.

Reply 24 of 33, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DolchFlexPAC wrote on 2021-01-11, 19:57:

YESSIR! And thank you so much for finding my post, as I think there are only two of you on VOGONS that have a PS/1000, and I believe the other person is German.

That riser card is exactly what I'd like to try and install on my PS/1 desktop board, which also fits in the mini-towers.

That might not be a coincidence. This unit came from a Polish auction site: 2-3 years ago I purchased 6 computers from one guy (286-486 class machines) and he told me they got skids of them from Germany. If I had a way to bring them all back at a good cost, I would have happily imported a skid's worth. As it stands, this is the last one left from that lot and I will be holding onto it, at least for some time 😁. IIRC the original hard disk had a German version of DOS on it as well.

The sticker on the riser reads:

812 4354 55Q
Rev B 3407

Hope this helps ;D

Reply 25 of 33, by DolchFlexPAC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info on the sticker, but I couldn't get any useful search results with that.
Is there an FRU or IBM Part Number on it anywhere? Any info on the back of the riser perhaps?
On the single-VLB riser card, the FRU sticker can sometimes be found on the edge of one of the slots.

What about the motherboard.... is there any FRU or Part number on it? Usually looks like 92K1234 type of format.
If I can get this number, I might be able to find the hardware manual for it, and the riser card should be in there....

Thanks again - very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IBMPN.jpg
    Filename
    IBMPN.jpg
    File size
    18.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • FRU.jpg
    Filename
    FRU.jpg
    File size
    150.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 33, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://imgur.com/a/Q0NuW2B No stickers anywhere but the one I took note of earlier. Nothing on the back except the Underwriter's silk screen.

Reply 29 of 33, by DolchFlexPAC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I also looked up that Dell OMNIPLEX 466-LV motherboard. It looks like an LPX form factor board...

But does that have 2 VLB slots, or just 1? I could install it in my PS/1 desktop, but it's already a 1-VLB system...

My plan is to use a 'dual-VLB' PS/1000 riser card on my PS/1 desktop's motherboard, but installed into one of my existing PS/1 mini-towers, to accommodate the 8 slots.

Cheers!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-31, 21:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 31 of 33, by audiocrush

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2020-10-31, 06:32:
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-30, 17:53:

I have a PS/1 2168 (the tower one) and yeah, jumpers... They're a real nuisance. ps2kev has the manual, luckily enough.

Yes I do believe that's where I got the mostly-compatible PS/1 Windows "image" - I scanned my computer for viruses after, and found two files infected with the HLLO HONI A virus (although not in a location where those files resided - Time to investigate my game source files)

@Jed118
What do you actually mean by "image"?
I've been trying to look though PS/2s mess of files on his FTP but I find it really hard to find anything useful for the PS/1 wich seems to be kind of similar to my PS/1000 I'm currently having a lot of troubles with
Would be totally awesome if you could point me in the right direction.

https://www.nerdsh.org/ - my blog, a bit neglected though
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsU6woi3lhLhtT_ILbSCCw - Some videos of mine

Reply 32 of 33, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
audiocrush wrote on 2022-02-15, 21:28:
@Jed118 What do you actually mean by "image"? I've been trying to look though PS/2s mess of files on his FTP but I find it real […]
Show full quote
Jed118 wrote on 2020-10-31, 06:32:
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-30, 17:53:

I have a PS/1 2168 (the tower one) and yeah, jumpers... They're a real nuisance. ps2kev has the manual, luckily enough.

Yes I do believe that's where I got the mostly-compatible PS/1 Windows "image" - I scanned my computer for viruses after, and found two files infected with the HLLO HONI A virus (although not in a location where those files resided - Time to investigate my game source files)

@Jed118
What do you actually mean by "image"?
I've been trying to look though PS/2s mess of files on his FTP but I find it really hard to find anything useful for the PS/1 wich seems to be kind of similar to my PS/1000 I'm currently having a lot of troubles with
Would be totally awesome if you could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for reminding me - I can't seem to find the source, can you link it? I need to re-do the install, I can help you find which one I used.

Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-30, 02:38:

I've heard this doesn't have PCM Sound Sampling no matter what. Is this true?

Now that I have an AWE32 in there, some games work with effects (settlers 2), others do not (Doom) - perhaps it is soundcard dependent? Windows 3.11 doesn't like the soundcard either, the initial sound just repeats 6-7 times, then stops. I'll experiment more with Windows 95.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-02-18, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 33, by audiocrush

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

that is the link to kev's FTP:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/

Regarding the sound... I had a lot of trouble with various soundblaster cards in the PS1000 in windows 95 with choppy playback and such.
They all went away once I reinstalled everything with dos 6.22 and WfW3.11 just downloaded it from REMOVED (the latter only worked after applying that keyboard fix here: Windows 3.1 OK? 3.11 locking up? Here is the fix!)
Now I have it running with a Aztech Soundgalaxy NX Pro and it just sounds awesome 😁

https://www.nerdsh.org/ - my blog, a bit neglected though
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsU6woi3lhLhtT_ILbSCCw - Some videos of mine