VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am working on replacing some capacitors on a few video cards...

If the capacitor on the card was 1000uF 125 Degrees C, 6.3V, putting a 1000uF 105 Degrees C, 6.3V in its place would not be a good idea?

Just curious as I have 105 Degree capacitors.......not 125.

Reply 1 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote on 2020-10-27, 00:25:

I am working on replacing some capacitors on a few video cards...

If the capacitor on the card was 1000uF 125 Degrees C, 6.3V, putting a 1000uF 105 Degrees C, 6.3V in its place would not be a good idea?

Just curious as I have 105 Degree capacitors.......not 125.

It really depends how cool the air around the caps is. If the caps run well below 105 degrees, how long they last probably won't be paced by heat stress. If the board they're on runs hot and it doesn't get much air flow, you'll probably want the better caps.

The bigger concern is matching ESR. Depending on the application, ESR out of tolerance can result in high ripple voltage or unstable feedback circuits.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digikey have some 1000uF 125 C 10V, if they are the right size. I can't find anything closer to your needs, unless cans are OK.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 6, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ESR and ripple rating are more important. Although you get more reliability from the higher rated ones, my take is that if any capacitor gets close to 105° (let alone 125°C) during normal use it means the cooling isn't up to the job.