VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Am not familiar with it, because i couldnt affort any back in the days.. And never tried such a drive.

Does anybody nows how to setup the drive to getting it working? I could image that is was of the earlier scsi drives.

Does it works the same as setting up an MFM / RLL drive by using the low level formatting tool in the controllers bios? (i dont know if there is any)

If not, can someone with experience with this drive explain me how to getting such a drive running again.

Does this hard drive works on any SCSI controller 8 / 16 bit.. Or do it only work with a same seagate branded scsi controller?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote on 2020-10-27, 02:20:

Am not familiar with it, because i couldnt affort any back in the days.. And never tried such a drive.

Does anybody nows how to setup the drive to getting it working? I could image that is was of the earlier scsi drives.

Does it works the same as setting up an MFM / RLL drive by using the low level formatting tool in the controllers bios? (i dont know if there is any)

It is similar to the Quantum Q280 SCSI HD and will work on either 8bit or older 16bit ISA SCSI controllers.
You DO NOT low level format it like an MFM/RLL ! The drive should already be low level formatted, just do a regular DOS format if you need too !

If not, can someone with experience with this drive explain me how to getting such a drive running again.

Does this hard drive works on any SCSI controller 8 / 16 bit.. Or do it only work with a same seagate branded scsi controller?

A few things to consider: the drive uses passive resistor termination so the controller should too, something like a later 16bit ISA controller with active term will give you issues.
What SCSI card are you going to use ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does seagate have an Utility to check / test the harddrive with? So yes, where can i find this? (maybe its floating somewhere around on the internet))

I have an 8bit SCSI controller card from seagate self (ST-01), which i can use for it. Dont know if an older adaptec 16 bit card would work as well.

Like ADAPTEC AHA-1540B or the C version.

Is it possible to format it low-level when the drive surface is bad due old age? Dont get me wrong because the drives i have arent used for a long time.
Do people with such of scsi drives ever had problems with a bad ROM image on the rom chip? Why i asks this it because when the controller finds the drive, the listed information seems to a little bit garbled.
If this would be the case, iam in the find a working drive and fixing the bad ROM image on the other drive as well.

Any information would be helpfull.. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Originally that HD was used with 8bit scsi controllers like the Seagate, Trantor, or other old 8bit ISA scsi cards. The 1540 is a newer 16bit scsi-2 controller and can work with those old drives but you need to go into the cards BIOS and set it for max of 10Mbs (SCSI-1)
If you can format it from DOS and not get any bad sectors there is NO reason to low level format it. Yes you can low-level format it through the controller but would never do that if it does successfully format from DOS.
Never had a scsi HD bios go bad, just the media....
added: if the old HD is not terminated proper, using a bad cable, scsi adapter not set proper: yes you can get some odd printout when the adapter detects the old HD.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The drive will work on any of the mentioned controllers (ST-01, AHA154xB/C).
I run mine on a 1542B. One thing to consider about the ST-01 ist that this controller can only handle two drives, so a low SCSI like 0 or 1 might be necessary.

Setup is different from MFM, RLL or IDE drive.
The controller has its own BIOS so the drive type in the motherboard BIOS should be set to "none".
Drive type information is detected automatically by the controller.
Usually you will not need any drivers if you just want to use 1 or 2 drives under DOS.
ASPI drivers are required for CD-drives, Sysquests or working with more than 2 drives

Some controllers are picky if the drive ran on a different manufacturer controller before, so a low level format might be required.
While this is done with CTRL-A keystroke on the Adaptec accessing BIOS routines via DEBUG is required on the ST-01.

Termination is required on both ends of the cable.
while the controller termination has to be removed/disabled only if internal and external ports are used at the same time, the termintion on the drive might be removed if is was part of a SCSI-chain.
Finding the matching resistor packs can be sometimes hard.
Terminator packs are availiable for the 50-pin drive plugs as well as crimp on termitors for the ribbon cable.

Creating partitions and formating under DOS is like with any other MFM, RLL or IDE drive.

Reply 5 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How can I test if the termination works properly? Is there a way to measure it?

So ST-01 really do have a bios routine to format it? Didn't know that. Does it should harm to the drive> Or is this the last option to do, if the drive still doesn't work properly?

And do I need to set Term power to both drive and the controller card? Should it work without Termpower, or will it be unstable ?

What's the best, to set the ID for the disk and the controller?

I am guessing controller should be ID 7? (Don't know if an 8 bit SCSI has that ID) and drive to ID zero. Or is it better to ID the drive one lower then where the controller is set on?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-30, 22:12. Edited 2 times in total.