So I got the parts together:
Mobo: FIC 486-GIO-VP
CPU: Intel 486 DX4-100
Video Card: MACHSPEED VGA GUI 2100 2MB CL-GD5428 Enhanced VESA Local VLB
Sound: Sound Blaster 32 PnP with 2MB Ram
RAM: 72Pin DRAM [16MB]
Mouse: Microsoft 2-button Serial Mouse
HD: Startech IDE2CF With Lexar 1GB [133x Speed] CF Card

All works beautifully.. except the mouse... it just won't be recognized.
The mouse works great on other motherboards.
I've tried:
- Both headers, both COM parts on the motherboard.
- I've tied CuteMouse v1.9.1 and the latest (2.1)
- I've tried the MS Mouse Driver - MOUSE.COM, MOUSE.SYS -- loading with LH and without, in autoexec.bat (Just says mouse not found)
- Tried using a separate controller board (Goldstar Prime 2 9318) -- This mouse works with this controller card on another 486 board. -- Made sure I disabled the COM ports on the motherboard in the BIOS, and disabled the Floppy/IDE interface on the controller card, so no conflicts.
- Tried only enabling COM1, and disabling COM2,3,4 and parallel port in BIOS.
- Re-installed DOS 6.22, Disabled HIMEM, and only tried to load CuteMouse v1.9.1
- Removed Sound Blaster
- Replaced MACHSPEED VLB card with a TSENG4000AX 16bit ISA Card
- Removed CF Card Drive, and Used Old traditional drive (200MB Connor)
- Booted with a boot-disk only and ran cutemouse..
- Tried two different serial ribbon cables - both COM headers on the motherboard, and the controller card.

I'm not sure what else to try here... hair is sufficiently pulled out. It kinda blows my mind though, that even with the separate controller card (which works fine in other computers), does not help the situation here.

Doing a COMTEST (the one that comes with cutemouse) reveal the ports are recognized. Oddly it shows that one has a 'modem' connected. Even when nothing is connected... (this holds true for both just motherboard, and if controller card is used)
Cutemouse does load, BUT it says it's loading in "Mouse Systems" mode. Which I don't think is correct either..

Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know if I need to post any other info.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 15, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All I can suggest is to use the Microsoft driver version 9.01 from here: https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-mouse/9x

That's if you haven't tried that version yet.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 3 of 15, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does comtest say that COM1: is at 3F8h and IRQ 4, and COM2: is at 2F8h and IRQ 3? Or something different?
It looks like your board also has a PS/2 mouse port. I wonder if the mouse drivers are confused by that also being there. Are you passing a /S1 or /S2 option to CuteMouse to force it to use a serial mouse?
And you're sure that "Mouse Systems" mode is wrong? e.g. you tried EDIT or some other DOS program that supports a mouse afterward.

Reply 4 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:00:

Are your I/O plates (ribbon cable + port assemblies) original to the motherboard? Mobo header pinouts can vary.

Nope, the cables aren't original to the mobo, but are to the controller card... this is where it gets confusing. If the pinouts on the mobo are different, then perhaps the controller card won't make a difference? If the IC's that control how the COM channels communicate with the the rest of the system (regardless of whether or not it's from the mobo or a separate controller) are expecting a certain pin configuration, then maybe that's why a different controller card doesn't matter. I'm not an engineer unfortunately..

If this is the case then, is there a good place to find out, what kind of cable to use, or if I need to make one, what the pinout is?

Reply 5 of 15, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
halate wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:32:

Nope, the cables aren't original to the mobo, but are to the controller card... this is where it gets confusing. If the pinouts on the mobo are different, then perhaps the controller card won't make a difference? If the IC's that control how the COM channels communicate with the the rest of the system (regardless of whether or not it's from the mobo or a separate controller) are expecting a certain pin configuration, then maybe that's why a different controller card doesn't matter. I'm not an engineer unfortunately..

If this is the case then, is there a good place to find out, what kind of cable to use, or if I need to make one, what the pinout is?

I thought you said the mouse+controller card combination works fine on another system. You're using the same cable on this machine as on the one where it works, right?

Reply 6 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:34:
halate wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:32:

I thought you said the mouse+controller card combination works fine on another system. You're using the same cable on this machine as on the one where it works, right?

Sorry for the confusion. Yeah, when I use the controller card. I'm using the same cable, as the one with the system that works 😀

Reply 7 of 15, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That motherboard has type B serial connectors, the Goldstar Prime 2C has type A. So using the same cable definitely won't work on both of them. But at least one combination should be working...

Last edited by jmarsh on 2020-10-27, 04:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:22:

Does comtest say that COM1: is at 3F8h and IRQ 4, and COM2: is at 2F8h and IRQ 3? Or something different?
It looks like your board also has a PS/2 mouse port. I wonder if the mouse drivers are confused by that also being there. Are you passing a /S1 or /S2 option to CuteMouse to force it to use a serial mouse?
And you're sure that "Mouse Systems" mode is wrong? e.g. you tried EDIT or some other DOS program that supports a mouse afterward.

Yep, it says exactly that. I've tried /S1 and it says "Installed at COM1 (03F8h/IRQ4) in Mouse Systems mode." ...with /S2 ... Installed a COM2 (o2F8h/IRQ3) in Mouse System mode.
Tried 'edit' afterward, with no success.. in v1.9.1.
In V2.1 beta4, it just says "Error: device not found"

Reply 9 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dmetsys wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:04:

All I can suggest is to use the Microsoft driver version 9.01 from here: https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-mouse/9x

That's if you haven't tried that version yet.

I can give that a go, I'll try tomorrow.

Reply 10 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:48:

That motherboard has type B serial connectors, the Goldstar Prime 2C has type A. So using the same cable definitely won't work. But at least one combination should be working...

Interesting. I'll dig around and see if yet another cable will work, like you said, it should be working....

Reply 11 of 15, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bizarre, only thing I can think of is could something be wrong somewhere between the -12V output of your power supply and the serial interface. Are you using an ATX with an adapter? It should still work though. It's -5V, not -12V, that new power supplies are missing.

Reply 12 of 15, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
halate wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:55:
jmarsh wrote on 2020-10-27, 04:48:

That motherboard has type B serial connectors, the Goldstar Prime 2C has type A. So using the same cable definitely won't work. But at least one combination should be working...

Interesting. I'll dig around and see if yet another cable will work, like you said, it should be working....

Yes, I have a FIC Socket 7 motherboard and it uses the "Intel/DTK" pinout for the serial ports, which is the less common one vs. the "AT/Everex" pinout which is used in most boards. More info here:

RS-232 PC Serial Port Pinout Conventions

You can easily tell which pinout is used on your motherboard by checking with a multimeter whether pin 5 or 9 is connected to ground.

Reply 13 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much for everyone's help so far, much appreciated.

- I'm using an AT power supply. I'll check to make sure the -12v is being supplied.. but, this PSU does work with that other motherboard+controller card, for the mouse.
- I'll give the MS Driver 9.01 a try as a shot in the dark.
- Pinout Weirdness: I'll check the pinout of the ports, but to be honest, I'm not sure how, I'll have to google it. Bought a Klein tools multimeter, so as to start checking these things as I get more into retro tech.
- PS/2 Port: On this board there is no physical port, but oddly, there are what appear to be jumper configurations for: "Internal Keyboard with Ps/2", "Internal Keyboard without pS/2", "External controller", but I assumed this was keyboard only.

I'll report back after I've had a chance to exhaust all the above option. Might be a bit, got other priorities at the moment. But again thanks so much!

Reply 14 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a Gigabyte manual but many settings are are same across VLB motherboards.
https://mbmanuals.retropc.se/manuals/47/486vs8a.pdf

Also there is an ISA serial port card available that works with any motherboard. I think it is from Startech.

Common motherboard settings.

Attachments

Reply 15 of 15, by halate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

Sooo I figured it out -- with the help of you fine folk! A couple things:
1. Confirmed the the pinout on the mobo is different. (It's type-b). The ribbon cables connecting the DB9 Port were for type-A.
2. The reason why it wasn't working, even with a separate controller card, is because the ribbon cable itself (that was previously working perfectly on a different computer), had broken half way through my tests. The solder points inside the DB9 connector had failed. I guess that's part of the game, with 27 year old retro tech.

Last thing I gotta do electrically, is hook up the external battery (or solder on a coin cell holder). Oddly this mobo I think was supposed to have DALLAS RTC, but no sign of it. The other odd part is the solder points for the cell battery holder, are much closer together than they normally would be for say a 2032 cell holder. I'm willing to bet it was potentially setup to be used with a 1220 (same 3v spec), and 12MM coin cell holder... buuut I've never seen that before.. have any of you seen this?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Just some pics if ya like:
20201101-081021.jpg
20201101-080837.jpg
20201101-080929.jpg
20201101-080959.jpg

I'll probably make some kind of custom drive bay enclosure for the CF / SD Card adapters so there's not a big ugly hole where there should be nice face plates.