VOGONS

First post, by zack4mac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am really happy and lucky to have grabbed these machines at a reasonable price. I have been doing some reading and becasue these boards dont appear that often perhaps its time to invest some money on a suitable power supply that provides -5v -12v and have come to the conclusion that the best way would be to source a known working psu then paying to have it recapped the thing is what should I be looking for? manufacturer, model and amps?
I already own a couple of psu's but I'm not sure they are worth the expense of having them recapped?
The Meridian is actually labelled ATX 2.01 but shows -5? and weighs 1070g
The Macron comes in at 1260g and the unbranded Kc300 comes in at 700g
I only mention the weight becasue I'm sure I remember the weight used to say something with regards to the quality of the psu and that Kc300 does not inspire much confidence! Best regards
Zack

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first glance, neither looks like trustworthy enough to power precious retro hardware. If possible post a few pictures of their innards, taking care not to touch any exposed parts inside if the units have been powered in the last few hours or so. Macron could be the best of the bunch (are you French btw? 😁 ).