VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear all,
It's been a while that I haven't used any SCSI devices / PCI host adapters (back in the early 90s!), so my memory is a bit rusty:

When I have CD-ROM drives connected to a SCSI PCI host adapter, and install its drivers, then upon the next reboot I should be able to see the CD-ROM drive, correct?

Well here is the situation:
I picked up a system that had a SIIG PCI SCSI adapter (model AP-40 SCSI Pro, SC2478 v1.0). I dismantled the system, and used the adapter and the drives on my retro machine (multiple OSs, Win98, WinME, 2000), and although I have found the drives on the Internet:

https://www.siig.com/download/search?keyword=sc-ps4x12

File name is: ap40_scsi_pro_all_v3.0656a

None of the OS can detect it, therefore I can not see any of the CD-ROM drives.

1) My question still stands: provided, I DID mange to get the OS to detect and install the drivers, upon the next reboot, I should be able to see the CD-ROM drives under the given OS, correct?

2) I can return this adapter for a better know model (Adaptec I hope), which one has the available drives, most compatibility under Win9X / 2000?

3) I even tried the SIIG drivers posted here on VOGONS, and none worked.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-10-28, 02:56:
Dear all, It's been a while that I haven't used any SCSI devices / PCI host adapters (back in the early 90s!), so my memory is […]
Show full quote

Dear all,
It's been a while that I haven't used any SCSI devices / PCI host adapters (back in the early 90s!), so my memory is a bit rusty:

When I have CD-ROM drives connected to a SCSI PCI host adapter, and install its drivers, then upon the next reboot I should be able to see the CD-ROM drive, correct?

I picked up a system that had a SIIG PCI SCSI adapter (model AP-40 SCSI Pro, SC2478 v1.0). I dismantled the system, and used the adapter and the drives on my retro machine (multiple OSs, Win98, WinME, 2000), and although I have found the drives on the Internet:

1) My question still stands: provided, I DID mange to get the OS to detect and install the drivers, upon the next reboot, I should be able to see the CD-ROM drives under the given OS, correct?

2) I can return this adapter for a better know model (Adaptec I hope), which one has the available drives, most compatibility under Win9X / 2000?

Here are the pictures of the SCSI PC Host adapter :

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    Filename
    image0.jpeg
    File size
    76.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • image1.jpeg
    Filename
    image1.jpeg
    File size
    118.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • image2.jpeg
    Filename
    image2.jpeg
    File size
    75.55 KiB
    Views
    File license

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 9, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is actually a DOMEX DMX-3940UW, based on the PS4X12. You might want to give these a go to see if they will help: https://driverscollection.com/?file_id=2331

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 3 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, but the website looks very fishy, and it would generate a download in 5 HOURS. Its scam-site to me.

Reply 4 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-10-28, 05:57:

Thanks, but the website looks very fishy, and it would generate a download in 5 HOURS. Its scam-site to me.

Maybe it's a version thing - yours is v1 and the SIIG drivers are for v2 (perhaps they changed the controller chip). It looks as if the DMX-3940UW is a re-brand of an Advansys 3940UW card so maybe try the drivers from here (an OK site I've used before)

https://drivers.eu/SCSI/Domex/DMX-3940UW

and which has a DOS dowload which seems to contain Advansys CD drivers.

Reply 5 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dear all, It's been a while that I haven't used any SCSI devices / PCI host adapters (back in the early 90s!), so my memory is […]
Show full quote

Dear all,

Before looking at the software, let's double-check the hardware and firmware:

- which SCSI IDs are the drives jumpered to?
- is the bus terminated after the last drive? (either by termination on the drive or a physical terminator on the cable)
- does the SCSI BIOS initialize at boot? And does it find the drives?

Only if this is all OK does it make sense to even look at driver issues.

Reply 6 of 9, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So be it. Domex has been out of business for years, and we are only left with sites like these to download drivers for our older hardware. You do you, bud.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 7 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-10-28, 09:12:
Before looking at the software, let's double-check the hardware and firmware: […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Dear all,

Before looking at the software, let's double-check the hardware and firmware:

- which SCSI IDs are the drives jumpered to?
- is the bus terminated after the last drive? (either by termination on the drive or a physical terminator on the cable)
- does the SCSI BIOS initialize at boot? And does it find the drives?

Only if this is all OK does it make sense to even look at driver issues.

The answer to all of them are YES, they are detected and do see the SCSI Bios Flash screen at boot.

Reply 8 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dmetsys wrote on 2020-10-28, 13:09:

So be it. Domex has been out of business for years, and we are only left with sites like these to download drivers for our older hardware. You do you, bud.

I wasn't ungrateful, I just stated that the website seemed fishy. But thank you, I appreciate it!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-28, 17:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 9, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE 1:
I just swapped the SIIG with an ADAPTEC AHA-2940UW. Let's see if it detects my drives, and that I can install its drivers:

https://adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/2940/aha-2940uw/

UPDATE 2:

Beautiful! Windows 98SE detected it, wanted to install from its own CD, fed it the official drivers that I just downloaded from the above link, rebooted, and now both CD-ROM drives work beautifully!

Windows ME detected, and automatically installed the drivers. No user interaction needed! Same with Windows 2000 Pro!

p.s. Japanese made SCSI CD-ROM drives are amazing: A Pionner, and a Ricoh. Back in the day, my 1st PleXtor drive was also a Japanese made unit. Unbelievable reliability,.

Thanks!