VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I came to possess an old Pentium 233 MMX computer, that apparently used to be some kind of a parking controller in an hotel.
It was by far the dirtiest computer I opened up.
Inside I found a PCI 3com NIC, and 2 unknown ISA cards.
It seems that one of them is some kind of 8 COM ports card (VS Turbo 8COM), and the other one some analogue controller, maybe?
I was able to find the first card online on some sale site (https://electrontubestore.com/index.php?main_ … roducts_id=1370) but not much more info.
The 2nd card have a female db37 port. no clue what it was used for.

Can someone help find more info on those cards?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I acquired several 8-port serial cards a few years ago. (UltraPort8i) I believe they came out of medical computers, and someone here speculated they were used for blood analysis machines.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The unknown board is a good exercise for reverse engineering an ISA card. No custom PALs on them, most traces visible, not too complicated. I will still spoil the result: It seems to be an 8-bit digital I/O card with opto-isolated floating inputs and open-collector outputs. It mostly works like this:

The two 74LS85 chips compare 4 bits of the 10-bit port address to the 8-bit base address configured by the jumpers. If both of them indicate a match, they enable the 74LS138 decoder, which can decode up to 3 bits, but will decode only 2 bits (8 are already decoded byte the 74LS85 chips) on this card. Maybe it also decodes IOR/IOW.

If the output port is selected, the 8-bit data value from the ISA bus is latched into the 74LS273, which drives the TD62083 octal darlingtron transistor driver. This chip can pull output lines (likely pins 1-8 on the D-type connector) to ground, and quite strongly so, but it can not provide an output voltage. External devices connected to the card need to provide their own power that to pull the outputs high if they are not pulled low by the card.

The 8 digital opto-isolated inputs have a low and high signal each. If the voltage of the high signal is high enough compared to the corresponding low signal (irrespective of the PC ground potential), an internal IR LED in the DA0-DA7 chips (not D/A converters) lights up and make a photodiode (or a photo-transistor) inside the same chip conductive. The output of the photo transistor is then compared to a threshold voltag using the two quad comparators (clones of the LM339, most chips being labeled some random letters followed by 339 are LM339 clones), to get a clear 0 or 1 out of it. If the input port is selected, the 8 output bits of the two LM339 clones (4 bits per clone) are forwarded to the ISA bus through the 72LS244 octal bus driver.

For the beginners in electronics: If a chip is called a "quad something", it means that the chip contains 4 times the same function performing "something", so a "quad comparator" contains four separate comparators, each of them comparing two different input voltages against each other, and each of them having their own output pin. The same is true of "octal something" chips, that contain 8 times the stuff to do "something".

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-30, 22:17:

The unknown board is a good exercise for reverse engineering an ISA card. No custom PALs on them, most traces visible, not too complicated. I will still spoil the result: It seems to be an 8-bit digital I/O card with opto-isolated floating inputs and open-collector outputs. It mostly works like this:

Good Diagnostics ! I think the small card could be an external tape interface card, it looks like the old Travan ext. tape card I have... but am probably wrong as it could for something else.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-10-31, 01:39:
mkarcher wrote on 2020-10-30, 22:17:

Good Diagnostics ! I think the small card could be an external tape interface card, it looks like the old Travan ext. tape card I have... but am probably wrong as it could for something else.

I was talking about the small card. The big card is an 8 port serial card, no doubts about that one.