VOGONS

First post, by Inrit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I have a 486 with the Abit AT425 motherboard, you can see the specs here:

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … 5-AT433-AT.html

There's very little information online about this motherboard as best I can find. It had an Intel 486 SX25 CPU in it, which I attempted to upgrade to a DX50 chip. The new chip works fine, but is recognized as 25mhz, and benchmarks show that it's only operating at around 25mhz as well. There were no jumpers listed on that info page to actually set the speed of the CPU, and there are no such settings in the bios, so I assume it's using some built-in 25mhz default. I don't see any unaccounted-for jumpers on the physical board that aren't on that Stason page, either.

I did set the "80486DX" cache jumper setting (on the linked page), and the system does show up as "DX" on boot, but still 25mhz.

I'm afraid the speed might be unchangeable.

Has anyone ever seen something like this? I've never seen a 486 motherboard with no upgradeability, and I took the AT420/425/433/450 branding to mean that this motherboard could support all those speeds, but now I'm worried that those might all be bespoke motherboard editions with a single speed.

Would love any thoughts and ideas!

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 12, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Older 486 motherboards would require a new crystal oscillator to be upgraded.

If I were you and had an original 1989 486dx25 and wanted to upgrade
I would drop in a dx2 and call it a day.

A DX50 will only work if the chipset and cache are up for that speed, Does the bios support different bus divisors and different memory timing?

Reply 2 of 12, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah you need a DX2-50. I think you could put in the much more common DX2-66 and just run it underclocked with no problem.
If you haven't read about it already, the DX-50 was kind of a special case, as its 1:1 clock rate means the entire board has to run at 50MHz, and lots of boards weren't up to the task once you add RAM, cache, and VLB cards, depending on the particular combination.

If you can take a high-resolution picture of the full board, someone here may be able to work some magic if it turns out it can actually run at different speeds. It may involve soldering.

Reply 3 of 12, by Inrit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware of that distinction between DX50 and DX2-50!

Given that the motherboard has no jumpers or bios settings related to CPU speed, do you expect a DX2-50 would just be "auto detected" at 50mhz by this board and work?

Reply 4 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try 33MHz or 40MHz using this DX50 CPU by changing crystals.

If not, set board up as 33MHz and use a 5V DX2 66 CPU, either amd or intel.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 12, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Inrit wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:28:

Given that the motherboard has no jumpers or bios settings related to CPU speed, do you expect a DX2-50 would just be "auto detected" at 50mhz by this board and work?

With these 486 boards it's often possible to get away with using a faster/newer CPU than the BIOS has programmed into it in its table of known CPUs, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's not like a modern board where the BIOS has to be updated every time there is a new cpu released for the socket. Especially with this board possibly coming in AT420,25,33,50 variants, they probably use the same BIOS for all of them.
If you'd like, you could probably find some software like AMISETUP to dump the BIOS image, upload it here, and we can look inside it and see what CPUs it knows about.

As pentiumspeed said, speeding it up might require you to put a different crystal on that runs at a higher frequency. Or, maybe it has a chip to produce the different frequencies and the settings are just undocumented.

Reply 6 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure it works like this board of mine : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/60

See the name ? FU325/FU333/FU340. The 25/33/40 part is just the speed of the crystal installed. The PCB remains the same. Your board has a similar naming scheme.

Looking at a photo here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/77 you can see that the crystal is simply zip-tied in place. You can simply take it off and attach a faster one in there 😀

By the way can you please make a backup of your bios ? I'll add it to the page.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good thing is that 486 DX2 and SX2 CPUs double their speed totally internally and autonomous. So it is really just plug and play! Maybe some old biosses do not show the speed correctly, thats about it. Oh beware of AMD 3VOLT DX2 CPUs they need a newer motherboard or an interposer.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 8 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Inrit wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:28:

"Detection"? This is early 1990s, there's no such thing as detection 😮

The board has a 486 bus, you stick a 486 into it and it's all run at whatever speed the oscillator crystal indicates. If it's clock doubled (SX2/DX2) at twice that speed. If the parts can handle the bus speed, it runs fine, if not, it doesn't run at all, isn't stable. It's up to the user to figure it out.

According to the TH99 info the board could support 50MHz, and in fact as it's ISA only and not VLB there's a decent chance it would actually do that - but only if cache can handle it.

Reply 9 of 12, by Inrit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

Thanks again for the great advice, I wanted to give an update for anyone else who has one of these AT420/AT425/AT433/AT450 boards.

In my experience, it works best with a DX2, running at 50mhz. I upgraded it to 32mb of RAM, and got a decent 1MB SVGA card for it.

I tried going faster than this, but only met with failure. Here are the two upgrades I attempted:

• Tried replacing CPU with Am5x86-P75 AMD AM486DX5-133W16BHC (which has built-in 5v to 3.3v converter), but system would not boot
  • Tried replacing the 25mhz crystal with a 33mhz crystal. System extremely unstable, sometimes gets through initial boot screen, but always has screen corruption and lockup within 1-2 seconds of DOS and drivers loading. Tried disabling BIOS setting "BYPASS AUTO_BUS Function" and setting ACLK divider to a higher value (was 1/4, tried 1/5 and 1/6) and still get instability, sometimes don't even get initial BIOS screen and need to reset CMOS via jumper. When it did get past BIOS screen and tried to load DOS, I did indeed see it recognized as "66mhz" (with the DX2 CPU), but it can't boot.

So this machine will be a nice 50mhz DX2 it seems. I can run almost everything I wanted to on this, was just hoping to eek out that 66mhz for a bit smoother experience in a few games, but I'm still delighted with the machine overall.

Someone had asked for a BIOS dump so they could archive it, but I don't have AMI setup. If anyone knows where I can get it (or another util to backup the BIOS) let me know, and I'm happy to share the BIOS for others with this board.

Thanks all.

Reply 10 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good on you. Thanks for the update.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Inrit wrote on 2020-12-22, 16:38:
Hi folks, […]
Show full quote

Hi folks,

Thanks again for the great advice, I wanted to give an update for anyone else who has one of these AT420/AT425/AT433/AT450 boards.

In my experience, it works best with a DX2, running at 50mhz. I upgraded it to 32mb of RAM, and got a decent 1MB SVGA card for it.

I tried going faster than this, but only met with failure. Here are the two upgrades I attempted:

• Tried replacing CPU with Am5x86-P75 AMD AM486DX5-133W16BHC (which has built-in 5v to 3.3v converter), but system would not boot
  • Tried replacing the 25mhz crystal with a 33mhz crystal. System extremely unstable, sometimes gets through initial boot screen, but always has screen corruption and lockup within 1-2 seconds of DOS and drivers loading. Tried disabling BIOS setting "BYPASS AUTO_BUS Function" and setting ACLK divider to a higher value (was 1/4, tried 1/5 and 1/6) and still get instability, sometimes don't even get initial BIOS screen and need to reset CMOS via jumper. When it did get past BIOS screen and tried to load DOS, I did indeed see it recognized as "66mhz" (with the DX2 CPU), but it can't boot.

So this machine will be a nice 50mhz DX2 it seems. I can run almost everything I wanted to on this, was just hoping to eek out that 66mhz for a bit smoother experience in a few games, but I'm still delighted with the machine overall.

Someone had asked for a BIOS dump so they could archive it, but I don't have AMI setup. If anyone knows where I can get it (or another util to backup the BIOS) let me know, and I'm happy to share the BIOS for others with this board.

Thanks all.

That's me 😀
You can dump it simply using that piece of software http://cd.textfiles.com/microhaus/mhblackbox3 … MORY/GETROM.ZIP.

As for your conclusion, that's a useful piece of information although kinda confusing. I mean, that board should support 33MHz FSB as it's perfectly standard (the photo we have on UH19 shows a 486 DX-33 being used). Furthermore there are other boards using that chipset and they support 33MHz FSB http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/result/?chipsetId=412
What's the speed of the RAM you've installed ? Maybe look for undocumented jumpers settings ? There might be a waitstate that have to be included or something.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 12, by Inrit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:43:

That's me 😀
You can dump it simply using that piece of software http://cd.textfiles.com/microhaus/mhblackbox3 … MORY/GETROM.ZIP.

OK, will do later and share here. Thanks!

Deksor wrote on 2020-12-22, 17:43:

As for your conclusion, that's a useful piece of information although kinda confusing. I mean, that board should support 33MHz FSB as it's perfectly standard (the photo we have on UH19 shows a 486 DX-33 being used). Furthermore there are other boards using that chipset and they support 33MHz FSB http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/result/?chipsetId=412
What's the speed of the RAM you've installed ? Maybe look for undocumented jumpers settings ? There might be a waitstate that have to be included or something.

Yes I expected 33mhz would work as well because AT433 is one of the configurations of this board, I admit I could very well be missing something to make this work. The only jumper setting I can't account for is the mysterious JP8 which says "Factory configured - do not alter" in the references I can find (including the one you linked).

The 2 settings I tinkered with in BIOS were "BYPASS AUTO_BUS Function" (which I tried both enabled and disabled) and "Bus Clock Frequency Selecte" which I tried 1/4 ACLK, 1/5 ACLK, and 1/6 ACLK. There is nothing about waitstates in the BIOS settings.

The RAM I'm using is 60ns.

Thanks.