VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have revived an old Pentium 1 triton 430FX motherboard and noticed the tag ram is slower than the Pipeline Burst Cache.
The PBC is 7ns but the tag ram is 15ns, is this normal or a bottleneck slowing down performance . Would I gain speed putting in a faster tag ram (this motherboard supports 100mhz on it's jumper fsb listing).
I only ever used 486 boards in the past before jumping to a Pentium-2. In those 486 boards I thought at a minimum the tag ram had to be at least equal of faster than the cache chips?? Can't find much info on PBC and tag ram on google.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=95395

Attachments

• 430FX-TRITON.jpg
    Filename
    430FX-TRITON.jpg
    File size
    644.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only if you can change the chache speed and waitstates in bios somehow. If you pu a fastes chip somewhere it does not do anything, if you can not run it faster. It is this way with CPU-s, memory, and cache.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-11-03, 13:11:

Only if you can change the chache speed and waitstates in bios somehow. If you pu a fastes chip somewhere it does not do anything, if you can not run it faster. It is this way with CPU-s, memory, and cache.

There is options for memory 2-1-1-1 or 3-2-2-2. and only to disable the cahce or enable it. Just wondering really why the PBC chips are so much faster than the tag ram, while on 486 cache and tag it was the other way around.

One other thing I noticed, this motherboard also has a COAST slot. I disabled the 256KB onboard PBC with jumpers and used a cost stick with 256KB and winbond 7ns chips. When I benchmark this in speedsys, the L2 speed is 17MB/S slower compared to the onboard PBC cache (even though they are exactly the same size and timings). All I can think is having the PBC chips soldered on to the motherboard is faster than using exactly the same in the cost slot.

Reply 3 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it is fine.

486 boards are working with lower latencies and also each cache line was half in size.

Attachments

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 4 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also the 100 MHz bus on 430FX doesn't sound right. The chipset doesn't support that. That would lead to 50 MHz PCI bus which wouldn't be healthy. Are you sure it is really bus speed and not CPU speed?

Many Intel motherboards assume that when you insert a module into the slot you are extending the cache. That's why their program chipset has to insert extra cycle to allow for bank turnaround which would lead to slightly slower bursts. Perhaps that's why you see the difference? Your coast stick could also flip some other bits. You would need to read how the actual programming of the chipset. BIOS settings can be overriden.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2020-11-03, 14:43:

Also the 100 MHz bus on 430FX doesn't sound right. The chipset doesn't support that. That would lead to 50 MHz PCI bus which wouldn't be healthy. Are you sure it is really bus speed and not CPU speed?

Many Intel motherboards assume that when you insert a module into the slot you are extending the cache. That's why their program chipset has to insert extra cycle to allow for bank turnaround which would lead to slightly slower bursts. Perhaps that's why you see the difference? Your coast stick could also flip some other bits. You would need to read how the actual programming of the chipset. BIOS settings can be overriden.

The board has jumper settings labelled FS0, FS1, FS2 for speeds of (25mhz, 33.3, 40, 50, 60, 66.6, 80, 100mhz). Next to it is a REFCLK with 14.317 Mhz.
I can boot a P133 at 200mhz using jumpers FS0, FS1, FS2 all jumpered to 1-1-1. So this would be 100mhz fsb x 2. Problem is it hangs when loading win98.

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

brand /model of the motherboard? And a pic of the whole motherboard?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-03, 16:54:

brand /model of the motherboard? And a pic of the whole motherboard?

Motherboard is GA-586ATMP rev 6. It's a bit obscured in the case , awkward to picture the full board without taking everything out. One thing I noticed, even though this is an old 430fx chipset, it says socket 7 on the white cpu socket. I was sure it was a socket 5 motherboard.