VOGONS

First post, by nebular

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first CPU I bought, my P2 333 will not boot. My motherboard works with my P3 550 and I've verified that the motherboard is running at 66mhz FSB, but on power on I get nothing, as if the CPU isn't plugged in. I'm hoping it isn't dead and there might be something I can do or test to get it working again. I've attached photos of the CPU card

Help?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nebular wrote on 2020-11-04, 22:18:

The first CPU I bought, my P2 333 will not boot. My motherboard works with my P3 550 and I've verified that the motherboard is running at 66mhz FSB, but on power on I get nothing, as if the CPU isn't plugged in. I'm hoping it isn't dead and there might be something I can do or test to get it working again. I've attached photos of the CPU card

Help?

A few basics -

- which motherboard (with good pic if you have one) and memory

- has it ever worked in this motherboard or any other (which one?)

- are you sure it's fully inserted into the Slot 1 connector and engaged with the retention bracket

Reply 2 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nebular wrote on 2020-11-04, 22:18:

Help?

Just ftr, you did install a HSF before installing the CPU and trying to turn on the motherboard, right?

Regarding your troubleshooting, you have at least set the FSB correctly apparently. I assume you set it by jumpers? In this case perhaps the multiplier jumpers of the CPU may be incorrect (some 333MHz CPUs were unlocked and thus could be affected by CPU clock settings, where a Katmai 550MHz would usually not be).

And please do read the manual of your board. It's not unfeasible that you missed something obvious.

EDIT:If all else is correct, you can try cleaning the contacts of the CPU with some rubbing alcohol to remove any dust or other potential ickynesses 😜
This has revived a Slot 1 CPU multiple times for me.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 7, by nebular

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The CPU has run on this motherboard previously and the motherboard works with my p3 450 and 550. It's a deschutes core so it's multiplier locked, but I get the same results on any multiplier jumper setting. Yes I had the heat plate and sink and fan attached.

It hasn't been used in over a year and I disassembled it to put new thermal paste and thermal pads on the cache for possible future use at 100mhz fsb.

Reply 4 of 7, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a suggestion on the off-chance, have you tried removing the BIOS battery and/or clearing CMOS settings inbetween changing from the PIII to the PII?

I had a motherboard that would refuse to POST with a PII after previously booting with a PIII, until I removed the battery and reset the BIOS first.

Reply 5 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typical problem with Slot 1 CPUs. You need to clean goldfingers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 7, by nebular

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PTherapist wrote on 2020-11-05, 16:14:

Just a suggestion on the off-chance, have you tried removing the BIOS battery and/or clearing CMOS settings inbetween changing from the PIII to the PII?

I had a motherboard that would refuse to POST with a PII after previously booting with a PIII, until I removed the battery and reset the BIOS first.

Well I tried that and it got my P2 400 SL357 to boot (I pulled it from water logged e-waste so my hopes weren't up for it), but my SL2TV is still a no go 🙁

I got asked for a photo of my motherboard, it's attached. It's a Shuttle HOT-661V v3.1

So unless someone can think of something to look for on the CPU board I'm thinking that my SL2TV is dead. I'd buy another just for nostalgia's sake, but I live in the Yukon and shipping pushes any P2 I can find up to $40-$50 CDN and I just can't spare much as I'm out of work (hence the e-waste raiding)

Shame. It was rock solid for so long. I was hoping I could try for 500mhz. C'est la vie.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 7, by nebular

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also took IPA and a toothbrush and q-tips to the connector pads. Did a bit with IPA and the toothbrush to the slot, but since all my other slot 1 CPUs are working, I don't think the slot is the problem.