VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting tired of this. Recently received 6 chips of 512K x 16bit FPM chips for upgrading my video card to 2MB. Corroded SOJ leads wouldn't take solder at all, So I threw 4 into ultrasonic to try to brighten up the leads to take solder properly. After 2 baths, still not and paint on top started to flake off. That ended my attempts at using these and trashed them.

Few years ago, bought few high frequency ampifiers in 5 lead T220 package. Lead breaks and splintered like wood breaking in two, when I bend them slightly, amp didn't work at all, highly distorted even I had resistor in series to limit current into transformer.

All of the OEM branded (Micron, Hyrix etc memory modules especially from china their SPD were reprogrammed using one same serial number even it ID correctly and has correct timings, even the ECC, registered DIMMs were like that way too. Label was well done quality and chips generally is correct. But they were not not made and was not sold to OEMs like Dell, HP etc. Once again I bought from other sellers that were not sold by chinese people, were geniune memory modules with unique serial numbers in the SPD.

One time I bought a Latitude 3350 with i5 motherboard this is hard to find and tend to be expensive, turned out it was tester beta motherboard that Dell don't release to public, was a testing computer broken down and parts resold and the bios cannot be flashed to normal bios. The website looked American but I had to drill deeper and turned out it was a Chinese website selling junk. Since this was expensive, had to return to get my money back. I had to nag few time then finally got my money back.

On top of this of all, The goodies like IDE to SATA bridge chips cloned and put on low quality boards and sold on everywhere and not any choices even from chinese sellers and others that barely works. Not even hint of quality ones like Marvell chips on nice designed boards etc... (Startech is expensive but worth it).

I had enough!

Even I cannot find many choices of programmable PWM boards to run the PWM fans, not PWM the DC to vary the DC voltage which what is DC to DC is for, I needed true PWM controllers, only one you can get is Noctua which is 50 dollars dongle. Had to get the PWM adjusteable 2 fans connectors boards from chinese, they work well but no option to enable inverted output and no option for amplified PWM for high current PWM that some fans also requires. I didn't want to use temperature sensors and beeper on that, but worked for my special project but not perfect.

Also my job requires me to repair game consoles, phones etc. Specific chips like south bridges and older PS4 HDMI IC for PS4 is fakes or low quality chips and I hear this all the time on private facebook forums I joined. I even had to discard few audio ICs for iphone 7 as one source was high rate defects. Sigh!

Please give us choices! And right to repair is a must if we need to access to genuine parts so volley your demands at politicians.

I might have to make PWM controllers using 555 timers with jumpers to enable amplified or inverted or both, but I'm not a programmer but I'm really good with analog and digital chips designed from plans.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 10, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even more fun is when you order domestically to avoid that BS, only to find that your supplier sourced all of their inventory from Shandong on the sly.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 2 of 10, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

100% agreed mate.

Xeon ES CPUs destroyed my z9PE-WS Motherboard
Need a "genuine", "oem", "original" battery for a slim laptop - all fake
NOS game controllers - don't even try, more fakes then originals
SD cards - what a minefield

Visited some of the electronic markets in Shenzhen around 2012, it was awesome you name it they had it. (SD cards and USB drives were mostly fake though)
Fast forward a few years as retro stuff and refurbing older machines gets attention, the fakes outnumber genuine good quality parts.
I feel like even HP/Dell get scammed by their factories these days.
My latest EVGA motherboard (NEW) came with a BIOS battery holding <0.1v of charge 🤣

Reply 3 of 10, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not to mention the current global health crisis, again caused by them, as in the last 20 years ... ah if there weren't so many ... I would know how to fix them permanently, but here we are talking about technology not politics.

Reply 4 of 10, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-08, 01:22:

Please give us choices! And right to repair is a must if we need to access to genuine parts so volley your demands at politicians.

I'm sorry, but "Right to Repair" isn't in the big tech companies agenda. And these days have shown that, with media in your side, enough money and enough brainwashed meat bots, you can push your interest in almost every conceivable way, and the masses will like it and worship you. The only thing I can say to you without turning this into politics... Don't expect it to get better in the next years. If any, this mess will get even worse.

Reply 5 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MOD WARNING. Do not let this de-rail into politics, covid or right to repair discussion (right to repair can be discussed in a separate thread). Stick to the topic of fake parts

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2020-11-08, 23:23:

MOD WARNING. Do not let this de-rail into politics, covid or right to repair discussion (right to repair can be discussed in a separate thread). Stick to the topic of fake parts

Thanks ! I was about to comment in detail that many people in many countries are currently hurting and need cash and will do what they can to get it, hope that keeps it simple enough to not be any of the above.
The last time I got fake parts thru Ebay was not from overseas but from here in the the states and was memory chips from a well documented seller.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've not really had bad luck in regards to fakes from China. I did have one seller ship me the completely wrong type of adapters once though.

The no brand IDE to CF adapters seem to work well enough as do the IDE to m.2 SATA adapters.

Thinking about ordering some OPL3 and supporting chips to de-CQM a few cards as well.

Would not trust any actual usb sticks or other flash devices though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-09, 03:01:

Thinking about ordering some OPL3 and supporting chips to de-CQM a few cards as well.

Er, if most "new" "OEM" Yamaha sound cards from China come with fake (rebranded) chips that aren't actually Yamaha, why would OPL3 and supporting chips actually be the real thing? Especially since the real thing is out of production...

Reply 9 of 10, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Iv heard about the whole fake chip issue, read up about it here and there but haven't invested too much time into it. Especially stuff like cache chips. If I see someone selling tubes of NOS chips, I buy a few lots of the price is tolerable.

So are we just finally getting to the point in time where the wells of remaining good supply of these old chips is drying up?

Reply 10 of 10, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hopefully my newly ordered C2Q Q6700 isn't fake .. Seller sent me pictures of it booting up ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀