VOGONS

First post, by Blacknoise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I accidentally changed the clock multiplier on my PC, which caused it to fail to boot, so I tried to reset the CMOS (both by using the jumper and removing the battery), not it won't power on at all.

When I hit the power button, literally nothing happens. Although oddly, if I plug an ethernet cable into the onboard NIC, this shows signs of live (the link and act light both come on), this happens even if I don't press the front panel power button.

I've tried stripping down to literally just the PSU and CPU and it is still the same.

The PSU is fine as far as I can tell, when I plug it into a CPU tester, it fires up and all the readings look OK.

I've tried shorting the pins for the power switch on the mobo to no avail either.

I've tested the CPU and PSU with a different Socket A mobo I had laying around, and it posts without issue.

Specs are as follows:

Mobo: MSI MS-6712
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+

Just wondering if there's anything else I can try before I concede that the Mobo is dead.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 2, by Blacknoise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-11-08, 11:18:

I thought Athlon XP cpus were locked and you can't change the multiplier or am I wrong?

Well, the BIOS let me change it either way... I originally did it because the CPU was being picked up as 400MHz, so I manually set it to 11.5.

I can understand why changing this could potentially cause a boot issue, but not quite sure why clearing the BIOS doesn't fix it.