VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need some help finishing repairing this computer.
It contains a socket 7 Delhi -III motherboard with Pentium 233 mmx.
On boot it shows the eMachines logo.
It was dirty beyond believe. Took everything apart, cleaned, lubricated the fans and put it back together and it is working great. Running dos 7.1 and wfw 3.11 with LAN.

Two last issues are with the case.
As you can see, the doors for the cd and the usb/audio do not close.
Where can I get the... thingy.. that hold the expansion door close? What is it even called? It seems worn out and would not hold the door close.
The CD door is another issue. I have no idea how it is supposed to be closed. Maybe there is a missing spring somewhere?
If there is anyone with a similar case it would be helpful if they could take a picture of the inside of the cd door.
Thanks 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to find the catch/latch thingy on ebay:
s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Catch-Co … re/163950863327

I would really appreciate some help with the cd door.
Googling around seems that there are some other cases with similar mechanisms, but I could not find a good picture of the inside of the front panel.
Like this Soltek EQ3901A case:
eq3901a-3-4-doors-open.jpg

Reply 2 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The closing mechanism of this bay cover probably is implemented differently, but perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
695.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
635.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 10, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
anetanel wrote on 2020-11-10, 09:16:

Thanks.
Indeed it is a different mechanism. I don't see any place a spring could be placed on my door :\

In the upper hinge of your door there seems to be space for a spring like this one, taken from a Dell machine:

Attachments

Reply 5 of 10, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-11-10, 17:21:

In the upper hinge of your door there seems to be space for a spring like this one, taken from a Dell machine:

Can you point to the place you mean? I was not able to find what you mean..

Reply 6 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

for the usb door id probably just remove the black snappy thing, so the door would close. Then I might looks to see if its possible to change the door to use magnet to close, like how modern cases use magnets to hold doors and flaps in. I mean u could just cut off that thing on the door put square magnent there and glue a metal square on the inside.

Reply 7 of 10, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
anetanel wrote on 2020-11-17, 16:13:
aha2940 wrote on 2020-11-10, 17:21:

Can you point to the place you mean? I was not able to find what you mean..

Sorry, after a more careful review of the pic, it seems I mistakenly thought the mechanism used to press teh CDROM button was some part of the hinge, but it's not. It's really strange that there is no logical place where the spring would be. I guess you could use some ingenuity to try to put something there to keep the door closed, however i understand if you want to keep it original, I know I would want that.

Reply 8 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anetanel wrote on 2020-11-10, 09:16:

Thanks.
Indeed it is a different mechanism. I don't see any place a spring could be placed on my door :\

This is a pic of the inside bezel on my Iwill XP4 EVO (similar but smaller than the Soltek case, which luckily spends most of its life in bits!)

XP4 EVO Spring Door.jpg
Filename
XP4 EVO Spring Door.jpg
File size
866.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In your case I'm guessing a similar spring lever may have gone here

bezel02.jpg
Filename
bezel02.jpg
File size
211.32 KiB
Views
File license

or possibly a concealed spring lever might have been located between an inner and outer bezel (does the outer silver bezel actually detach as marked?)

bezel01.jpg
Filename
bezel01.jpg
File size
23.56 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9 of 10, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-11-18, 06:08:
In your case I'm guessing a similar spring lever may have gone here […]
Show full quote

In your case I'm guessing a similar spring lever may have gone here

bezel02.jpg

or possibly a concealed spring lever might have been located between an inner and outer bezel (does the outer silver bezel actually detach as marked?)

bezel01.jpg

I think you are right. upon closer inspection there seems to be some scuff marks where you suggest a spring could be.

IMG_3637.jpg
Filename
IMG_3637.jpg
File size
160.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And yes, the silver panels are detachable. There is an enormous amount of plastic in this case 😀 cleaning it all up was a task.

IMG_3497.jpg
Filename
IMG_3497.jpg
File size
837.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain