VOGONS

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here it is and if possible any idea where the manual is online ?

is this a socket 7 and a pentium 2 combined? what is the extra slot for?

where do i plug in my case inouts i.e. power, pc speaker ,hdd led?

confused about the power near the voltage regulator

link to mobo photos

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/TzADh52XYHRN

thanks

Reply 1 of 13, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a board made by Intel for DELL (and probably other OEMs such as Gateway), you should be able to easily identify it based on the layout.

No, it's just socket 7, the Pentium II would not be supported by that chipset. The brown slot is for a cache module (COAST) to add more L2 cache to the board.

The board has a proprietary connector for DELL cases, you need to either find the pinout to connect a regular case or you can solder new headers to the empty pads above the SPEAKER, RESET, PWR LED, HD LED if you want to have non-proprietary connectors.

Regarding the power connector, again, it seems to be proprietary, or some kind of variant of ATX. Do not plug an ATX power supply unless you're sure the pinout is compatible or you have an adapter!!

Reply 2 of 13, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-11-09, 19:40:
It's a board made by Intel for DELL (and probably other OEMs such as Gateway), you should be able to easily identify it based on […]
Show full quote

It's a board made by Intel for DELL (and probably other OEMs such as Gateway), you should be able to easily identify it based on the layout.

No, it's just socket 7, the Pentium II would not be supported by that chipset. The brown slot is for a cache module (COAST) to add more L2 cache to the board.

The board has a proprietary connector for DELL cases, you need to either find the pinout to connect a regular case or you can solder new headers to the empty pads above the SPEAKER, RESET, PWR LED, HD LED if you want to have non-proprietary connectors.

Regarding the power connector, again, it seems to be proprietary, or some kind of variant of ATX. Do not plug an ATX power supply unless you're sure the pinout is compatible or you have an adapter!!

ok so you are saying the board is no good to use with a ATX PSU? I cannot connect a PS or reset switch becuase it is missing some sort of connector?

Reply 4 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
It's a board made by Intel for DELL (and probably other OEMs such as Gateway), you should be able to easily identify it based on […]
Show full quote

Second that.

You can even see the pads for a regular ATX PSU on the board next to the connector. If you're well equipped in the desoldering department and adventurous, you could try to desolder the Dell connector and solder a regular ATX in its place...

The PSUs are fairly easy to find (e.g. on eBay), and are the same for this board as for later Dell boards like the Dell-edition Intel SE440BX-3.

Btw, this board has an i430VX chipset, which makes those DIMMs the biggest issue. i430VX was the first SDRAM chipset and its specs were very limited. Specifically it can handle max 16Mb chips. 16Mb=2MB, and as you can have max 16 chips on a DIMM, that means max 16-chip 32MB modules with max total RAM 64MB. Larger DIMMs or 32MB DIMMs with less, higher-density chips won't work. Of course 64MB is the max the chipset can cache anyway, but just finding those old 16Mb-chip DIMMs might prove a challenge.

Reply 5 of 13, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-11-09, 22:45:
Second that. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Second that.

You can even see the pads for a regular ATX PSU on the board next to the connector. If you're well equipped in the desoldering department and adventurous, you could try to desolder the Dell connector and solder a regular ATX in its place...

The PSUs are fairly easy to find (e.g. on eBay), and are the same for this board as for later Dell boards like the Dell-edition Intel SE440BX-3.

Btw, this board has an i430VX chipset, which makes those DIMMs the biggest issue. i430VX was the first SDRAM chipset and its specs were very limited. Specifically it can handle max 16Mb chips. 16Mb=2MB, and as you can have max 16 chips on a DIMM, that means max 16-chip 32MB modules with max total RAM 64MB. Larger DIMMs or 32MB DIMMs with less, higher-density chips won't work. Of course 64MB is the max the chipset can cache anyway, but just finding those old 16Mb-chip DIMMs might prove a challenge.

i can easily fix this if you can lead me in the right direction to obtain the proper header for the the mother board?

Do I just desolder the other psu connector and get rid of it? Also i have a similar socket 7 gateway mobo looks very close in design and handles 1 dim , 128mb just fine the intel chip does say '96 so maybe this has something to do with it. I was just going to use this as a dos computer for 89-1996 games so not sure if having this little memory will be an issue. I believe I have the ram , will have to look at my collection. Wasnt 64MB ram or even 32mB enough for DOS? I just plan on using a pentium 233 and as long as I can disable level 1-2 cache mobo and cpu I should be fine.

So still confused on the pinout for the 20 pin on this mobo. Are you saying the 20pin regular atx psu will not work? I dont care to use a dell psu... so am i supposed to desolder the 20 pin and move it to the soldered pins?
I see 6 pins not being used. Maybe someone can draw something or a link how to mod this?

Also what is the other connector used for ? Is this 3.3v for the cache board? I will never use it

Reply 8 of 13, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-10, 02:19:

The Dell and ATX use same connector, just move the connector to ATX position.

Cheers,

Sorry for my ignorance ,,

do you mean just use a regular ATX PSU and connect it? Or are you talking about desoldering and moving it over 6 pins to the left? What is the 3.3v connector for the cache?

Still lost

Reply 9 of 13, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two connectors is used on Dell specific boards, so what Intel did is make motherboards with extra solder holes for either. To convert a Dell to standard ATX requires unsoldering both connectors, move the ATX connector over and leave the 3.3V 6 pin connector off (yes unsolder the 6 pin connector) and leave it out.

This is what I have. I intend to do the conversion too so I don't have to use funky poor designed adapter on my ex-dell motherboard.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 13, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-10, 04:07:

Two connectors is used on Dell specific boards, so what Intel did is make motherboards with extra solder holes for either. To convert a Dell to standard ATX requires unsoldering both connectors, move the ATX connector over and leave the 3.3V 6 pin connector off (yes unsolder the 6 pin connector) and leave it out.

This is what I have. I intend to do the conversion too so I don't have to use funky poor designed adapter on my ex-dell motherboard.

Cheers,

cool i will do this mod tomorrow.
ok so to be clear move atx connector all the way over to the left basically leaving 6 pins open on the right now and delete the bs dell connector. will post pics

Reply 11 of 13, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

can you draw a circle and tell me which header you are talking about to connect

Reply 12 of 13, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok so i figured out that I just need to move the atx connector to the other side and delete the other dell connector for the psu side.

Where is the pin headers for power switch, reset, hdd led etc?

The power on pin out does not exist unless the proprietary dell connector can just be used.. If you look at the photos sleep and PWR ON is not there unless it i s on the bottom header

Reply 13 of 13, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-11-10, 14:21:

ok so i figured out that I just need to move the atx connector to the other side and delete the other dell connector for the psu side.

Where is the pin headers for power switch, reset, hdd led etc?

The power on pin out does not exist unless the proprietary dell connector can just be used.. If you look at the photos sleep and PWR ON is not there unless it i s on the bottom header

You must solder new pinheaders to the empty pads if you want standard headers, as I mentioned on my previous post. For PWR ON I suppose you can just reuse the pins from the DELL proprietary header.

Attachments