VOGONS

First post, by mikedoubleu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a new power supply as I have caught the bug and started to build an Athlon XP 2800+ system (among others).

This would be because I tested the board and processor on a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 500, and the 5 Volt rail sagged to 4.52 Volts (eek)

I have happened past the following item on the CPC Farnell UK website...

https://cpc.farnell.com/ace/a-850br/ace-850w- … -fan/dp/CS31242

The specs for this power supply suggest it has a 38 Amp output on the 5 Volt rail, which I understand is almost unheard of in this day and age. I appreciate this is a basic/budget PSU, but I've gone ahead and placed an order for it. It surely cant be any worse than some of the really cheap PSUs I used years and years ago, back in the days when we bought cases from computer fairs and just used the PSU that came with it. Do you remember those things? They used to way 1/10th as much as a "proper" store bought PSU.

I thought I would share it here in case anybody has any interest or views on this PSU. I should have it in-hand in 3 days, and will be happy to share some information on it once it is plugged in and running the Athlon XP system.

Thanks

Mike

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd that it is not sold outside UK. Yes please do tell us how it works out. In all the searching did not find if it has Over Voltage and Short Circuit protections which are usually included even in the basic PSU's.
My guess is that it is about on par with the older Leadman PSU which were included in many white-boxed ATX cases back in the 2000's... but could be wrong.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by mikedoubleu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, to close this one out. I received the PSU yesterday. In summary, it is not good. On the face of it, the build quality seems OK, but the power output is terrible.

As mentioned in my first post, I tested a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 500 with an AMD Athlon 2800+. At full speed on a 133Mhz FSB, the +5v line was approximately 4.52 volts. Underclocking the CPU with a 100Mhz FSB showed +5v at 4.9 volts

With the Ace A-850BR PSU, the voltage measurements are 4.45 volts (Athlon at full speed) and 4.13 volts (Athlon underclocked)

At best, I would say this PSU is OK for low spec and retro ATX12v systems, but its certainly no good for Athlon Socket A systems which need a strong +5v supply.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose with

Ace A-850BR - Potential as a new ATX PSU for P4/Athlon 5 Volt builds

you meant motherboards that use a lot of power on the 5v line?
Because no P4 makes (or should make) use of the 5v line as it was the first (desktop) motherboard generation that used the 12v for CPU power exclusively by design.
The issue is mostly the Athlon stuff, with Pentium 3 to a much lesser degree (with perhaps the exception of multi-CPU pentium 3 boards).

Shame the PSU itself didn't turn out to be a decent unit. I never heard of the brand but your report at least saves me from looking up more info about this PSU.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by mikedoubleu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for clarifying regarding the Pentium 4 exclusively using 12 volt for the CPU. I did indeed mean that the power supply might have potential for use on motherboards/processors that use lots of power on the 5 volt line. I'm pretty dissapointed that this Ace PSU has a weak 5 volt, as the specifications suggest otherwise. I think I will keep hold of it to test with a Pentium 4 machine I will be building, but as it is, I will continue to hunt for something to run this Athlon system without being too expensive.

Cheers

Mike

Reply 5 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the ATX PSU can supply even 25 Amps on +5v properly you should not have an issue with an XP2800+, unless you are using a lot of other +5 volt hungry items.
The TDP (thermal design, not same as actual power draw) of XP2800+ is 74 watts, the actual draw is about 68 watts max (www.cpu-world.com and I do trust their data).
That means the CPU max running off the 5v with 80% efficiency VRM would be 85 watts or 17 amps using Max draw or 93 watts (based on Thermal Wattage <TDP>) or 18.5 Amps from the +5V line
even if the VRM was only 70% efficient (which is poor for a Mobo) the max draw would be 19 Amps for CPU plus a few more for mobo.
Just saying it is more the quality of the PSU then the max +5v amps in some situations....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun