VOGONS

Asus P2B-DS Rev 1.06 FSB Modification

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My little tiny PCB's finally arrived, 🤣. Don't know when I'll have the time to do this, but I'll give it a go sometime in the future.

v3E1jHL.jpg

rCavlGZ.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 42 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a quick look at my board, I have the 1.06 D02 revision. I'll have to source a ICS 9250CF-08 for this, since it currently has the ICS 9150AF-08. It should be an easy swap, and I probably have one in a scrap board in the basement.

36vjHo6.jpg

ah11Ezw.jpg

bfHUt7f.jpg

My Github

Reply 44 of 72, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-01-22, 17:23:
My little tiny PCB's finally arrived, lol. Don't know when I'll have the time to do this, but I'll give it a go sometime in the […]
Show full quote

My little tiny PCB's finally arrived, 🤣. Don't know when I'll have the time to do this, but I'll give it a go sometime in the future.

v3E1jHL.jpg

rCavlGZ.jpg

Can't wait to see it done.

Reply 45 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found some new ICS 9250CF-08 chips for $4ea, so I ordered 5 of them. My mod will be ready to install when I get a break. I'll probably bundle the other 4 PCB's into a kit and throw it on a marketplace once I confirm it works.

My Github

Reply 46 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll be testing once I get the ICS 9250CF-08's and get that soldered in.

So this little thing just plugs into the existing jumpers, then transposes them and adds the 4th needed jumper for 133MHz FSB. The R99 pad obviously connects to the motherboard's R99 resistor with a jumper wire.

AYgIdoHh.jpg

oF9Iqv5h.jpg

My Github

Reply 48 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Old frequency generator removed:
pzQTVjX.jpg

Pads cleaned:
jH1Qzf4.jpg

New frequency generators:
Bqq0lsE.jpg

New frequency generator in place:
ZKfKdNQ.jpg

New frequency generator soldered in place with the mod PCB test fit on the jumpers. Perfectly fits next to those capacitors without touching. 😁
8YScVRS.jpg

My Github

Reply 49 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

R99 hooked up. I couldn't find my 36ga wire, so I had to use 24ga which looks giant, 🤣. I'll replace it once I go through some boxes.

2wN4iif.jpg

My Github

Reply 52 of 72, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very nice :p

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 53 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, no dice on the testing. I believe the frequency generators are counterfeit. The text on top of them comes off with isopropyl alcohol and the motherboard doesn't even post with the new chip installed. I put the old chip back on and the motherboard boots just fine. Testing on hold until I can source a legit frequency generator.

My Github

Reply 57 of 72, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bummer.

Actually i remember having a 1.06 D02 board that did not like the 9250 clock gen for some reason. The chip got warm, but board didn't post.
Same chip worked on 1.05 revision, for example.
No idea why.

Is the FSB control board sitting stably on the 3 jumpers underneath when pushing or pulling jumpers ?

Btw, if you cannot find clock gens nearby - i have few that collect dust here. Can send you 1 or 2 at no cost.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 59 of 72, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@pshipkov -- that may be the case with incompatibility for some odd reason. The chip does get warm, but no post. As far as the little board, it is pretty sturdy. I pulled jumpers off and put them on with one hand, just holding my thumb on the motherboard connector side. It does lean a little bit, but it doesn't fall of the board and has a good amount of friction-fit.

@Mamba -- I didn't test that, since this mod adds the 4th row of jumpers which specifically takes advantage of the 9250 clock gen. The 4th row would not map to anything on the old one.

My Github