VOGONS

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got a gravis digital blackhawk but cannot seem to get windows 98se to recognize the joystick.

I installed the drivers. Not sure what the deal is .

Is this for windows xp maybe?

Reply 1 of 4, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepads (one for gameport only, the other works with gameport or USB port) and both work perfectly from Win95 upto Windows XP. they are not detected at all on DOS, though.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-11-12, 01:36:

Just got a gravis digital blackhawk but cannot seem to get windows 98se to recognize the joystick.

I installed the drivers. Not sure what the deal is .

Is this for windows xp maybe?

Hello, may I ask how this is meant?
English is not my primary language. 😅

a) It's not listed in device manager
b) Windows games can't use it
c) DOS games can't use it

I'm asking, because some Win 3.1/Win95 titles do directly use the analogue gameport at adress 201h (?).

Such games are looking for a specific piece of hardware device, rather than a joystick.
Simply put, hey don't use the joystick API (was optional in 3.1).

It's akin to FM support in early titles.
Games like Warpath (3.1) or Sonic CD fir PC (W95) do direcly access the OPL2/3 chip.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you need to take the extra step of adding a new device in the joystick control panel, after you have installed the drivers?

And as a separate anecdote, I use a Dualshock 4 on my Win98 machines. On one of them, I could not get it to appear in the joystick control panel, but games still saw it.

Reply 4 of 4, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-11-12, 09:02:

Do you need to take the extra step of adding a new device in the joystick control panel, after you have installed the drivers?

And as a separate anecdote, I use a Dualshock 4 on my Win98 machines. On one of them, I could not get it to appear in the joystick control panel, but games still saw it.

I got it to work in windows 98 se by reinstalling windows. I havent tried it in pure dos hopefully it will work

i think the blackhawk digital has issues in dos , will try testing this week when i have time