VOGONS

First post, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've had a Pentium III system for a while running a Tualatin 1.4 GHz with socket adapter. My mobo is an ASUS and supports overclocking.

I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Tualatin-Celer … er/281931957654

I read in a few places that people have clocked these up to 1.8 GHz (with raising the voltage a bit). It has half the cache though (256K instead of 512K). How much of a difference do you think this makes? The bus speed on this one is 100 MHz, so it can easily go to 133 MHz without overclocking the system.

It's only $30, so I'm thinking about trying it for fun, but if you think the cache difference would make it slow enough that I wouldn't actually see an increase in performance, the maybe it's not worth it.

I know some people might say to just get a faster system, but maxing out old systems is something I find fun. Currently I am able to run Oblivion and Skyrim although super laggy and unstable in some places, but indoors it's perfect. I use it as my main vintage interface comp; meaning it's got a 5.25", 3.5", ZIP250, DVD burner, SD card reader, CF reader, etc. Amazingly everything except the mobo in it was built from scrap parts, but it works great.

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA

Reply 1 of 6, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the price why not get it and play around but I'd make sure that you have a good CPU cooler and decent airflow in the case. The system sounds like a nice all around utility machine care to post some pictures?

Reply 2 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Synaps3 wrote on 2020-11-12, 14:14:
So I've had a Pentium III system for a while running a Tualatin 1.4 GHz with socket adapter. My mobo is an ASUS and supports ove […]
Show full quote

So I've had a Pentium III system for a while running a Tualatin 1.4 GHz with socket adapter. My mobo is an ASUS and supports overclocking.

I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Tualatin-Celer … er/281931957654

I read in a few places that people have clocked these up to 1.8 GHz (with raising the voltage a bit). It has half the cache though (256K instead of 512K). How much of a difference do you think this makes? The bus speed on this one is 100 MHz, so it can easily go to 133 MHz without overclocking the system.

It's only $30, so I'm thinking about trying it for fun, but if you think the cache difference would make it slow enough that I wouldn't actually see an increase in performance, the maybe it's not worth it.

I know some people might say to just get a faster system, but maxing out old systems is something I find fun. Currently I am able to run Oblivion and Skyrim although super laggy and unstable in some places, but indoors it's perfect. I use it as my main vintage interface comp; meaning it's got a 5.25", 3.5", ZIP250, DVD burner, SD card reader, CF reader, etc. Amazingly everything except the mobo in it was built from scrap parts, but it works great.

You may get a faster clock speed out of the Tualeron, but not a much faster system .

See
Re: Tualatin Celeron vs Williamette Celeron

Reply 3 of 6, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-12, 14:57:

For the price why not get it and play around but I'd make sure that you have a good CPU cooler and decent airflow in the case. The system sounds like a nice all around utility machine care to post some pictures?

https://imgur.com/a/ApKxete

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA

Reply 5 of 6, by Stedman5040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Gigabyte GA 6OXET motherboard and have a number of Celeron Tualatins. The 1300MHz Tualeron CPU that I have runs comfortably at 1733MHz on air at 133 fsb with the pci bus running at normal speed with the 1/4 pll divider that is available on this board. Even at 1733Mhz the Tualatin Celeron does not outperform the Tualatin PIIIs 1400MHz running at 1400MHz.

K6 III+ 500
Epox MVPG2
512Mb Hynix CL2 SDRAM
40MB WD HDD
Creative GeForce2 Ti
CMI8738 Sound card

Reply 6 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stedman5040 wrote on 2020-11-16, 08:34:

I have a Gigabyte GA 6OXET motherboard and have a number of Celeron Tualatins. The 1300MHz Tualeron CPU that I have runs comfortably at 1733MHz on air at 133 fsb with the pci bus running at normal speed with the 1/4 pll divider that is available on this board. Even at 1733Mhz the Tualatin Celeron does not outperform the Tualatin PIIIs 1400MHz running at 1400MHz.

I had similar results back when I tested this. The 1.4GHz Tualatin-s and 1.3GHz Tualeron were trading blows in different tests when running them at the same FSB but there was no clear winner. Overall the score was slightly in favour of the Tualeron but that surely depends on your selection of software tested. Since the Tualatin-s overclocked to higher FSB it was still the more capable CPU. But as always with OC and the silicon lottery ymmv.
This was tested on the i815p chipset.