VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Patient: Proliant 1500 tower and same one in rack version which called 1500R which is based on single and dual pentium which I'm working on to resurrect.
To anyone who know these, please speak up!

The service manual does not show the motherboard diagram and connections.

What I need is photo of motherboard all hooked up in a chassis. I do not have the chassis.

I know most of the connectors are for, except 5 pin E10 connector with words next to it saying "RED P/S" which is next to one of the power supply's plugged into motherboard. And there 2 pin header marked E4 as well. Need to know what this is for?

I can power up motherboard as there is no interlock via the power supply's switch and have correct voltages, yet I want to make sure there is no interlock or special front panel via E10 connector?

Cheers,

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-11-15, 02:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If E10 is this one

Proliant 1500 SysBrd - E10 RED PS.jpg
Filename
Proliant 1500 SysBrd - E10 RED PS.jpg
File size
638.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I think it relates to use of the redundant power supply

Proliant Redundant PS.jpg
Filename
Proliant Redundant PS.jpg
File size
74.71 KiB
Views
File license

Where exactly is the E4 header, and does it seem to show on this (blurry) case info panel?

compaq-proliant-1500r-proliant-1500-server-series-3155-5.17__15293.1490268323.jpg
Filename
compaq-proliant-1500r-proliant-1500-server-series-3155-5.17__15293.1490268323.jpg
File size
78.44 KiB
Views
File license

Also; the battery (160274-001) seems to be 4.5V / 600ma

Reply 4 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-11-12, 21:50:

Vcfed occasionally though most vintage forums have died.

I do know that a couple of forums at least have a dedicated thread or subforum about retro hardware. The forums of overclockers.com.au and tweakers.net come to mind (tweakers.net is in Dutch though but I read up in it from time to time).

When googling, I see a lot of retro forums that well, I wouldn't consider they died as imo they basically never ever really got off the ground to begin with. I always had gotten the impression that a lot of people tried to spring their own forums off of the ground at roughly the same time, flooding the market and starving themselves of activity collectively.

Vcfed shouldn't be going the way of the dodo anytime soon though and if that would happen, I'd be much surprised. Vcfed seems to mostly look at stuff that predates the Pentium though, even though talk about post-486 stuff was never fully dead either.
Cpu-world should still be alive (mostly CPU talk there though) and there may be some other more specialized forums out there that are escaping my mind right now.

But I don't know of any forum specifically about server hardware. But if I were to take a guess where I would want to seek out interest in old hardware outside of Vogons, vcfed is probably the first place I would try. And google.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 19, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uncreativelabs died and it is the original dating back into the 90’s
In fact Vintage pc forums that were very active 1995-1998 mostly died off in the new millennium. Remember the old “rings” of different category websites and forums?

Although hated here Winworld and some similar OS software discussion groups have vibrant subjuncts talking about ancient operating systems.

Realistically though vcfed and vogons are the only game in town that have sizable membership + participation.

Exceptions being very specific projects on primarily modern subjects

Reply 6 of 19, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

E4 is 2 pin (really looked like was for a jumper but left open), and is bit more below power supply connectors than E10.

The power supply with blue power connector is for Proliant 4500, not same as Proliant 1500. I have correct power supply for Proliant 1500 and does not have this E10 connector.

Before purchased Proliant 1500 parts, did much research into how much of parts needed to make barebones to work and I found 4500 too much to do so I settled on 1500.

Cheers,

Reply 8 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-11-13, 12:39:
Uncreativelabs died and it is the original dating back into the 90’s In fact Vintage pc forums that were very active 1995-1998 m […]
Show full quote

Uncreativelabs died and it is the original dating back into the 90’s
In fact Vintage pc forums that were very active 1995-1998 mostly died off in the new millennium. Remember the old “rings” of different category websites and forums?

Although hated here Winworld and some similar OS software discussion groups have vibrant subjuncts talking about ancient operating systems.

Realistically though vcfed and vogons are the only game in town that have sizable membership + participation.

Exceptions being very specific projects on primarily modern subjects

I wasn't around back in the later 90's. I only started this hobby in the early 2k's.

I don't really remember much of uncreativelabs but that name sure rings a bell. I also remember other forums like the supersocket7 forums (last I visited, it was dead but the forum was thankfully still online along with all its precious information) and another forum that was mostly Athlon XP stuff, though the name escapes me but it had several members named after Star Trek persona.
Another forum with some excellent information that's gone now is a forum specifically about ASUS A7V and A7V133 and this helped a great deal as I have several of those boards. Only some of the information here has been saved to the archive.

What do you mean with winworld hated here? I never seen anything on Vogons resembling some form of hatred present here for such forums about Windows. Frankly, I think that particularly the msfn.org forums are an awesome resource.
Where are you getting this

information from?
You got me curious now.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 19, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OSkar000 wrote on 2020-11-13, 18:40:

I can take some pics of mine Proliant 1500 tower in the weekend.

Somewhere I have some documentation about it, not sure if its any technical information.

Awesome!

Document this very well as online search turned up very little on these gems and manuals that I can find were lacking these details.

i.e. Fan plugged in, type of battery's voltage, etc.

Once I have time, I'll post the power supply pinout too so others can substitute theirs once original PSU fails. I had to repair mine that was damaged in shipping due to heavy components severed few traces and broken solder joints.

Thanks so much and Cheers!

Reply 10 of 19, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-13, 22:20:
What do you mean with winworld hated here? I never seen anything on Vogons resembling some form of hatred present here for such […]
Show full quote

What do you mean with winworld hated here? I never seen anything on Vogons resembling some form of hatred present here for such forums about Windows. Frankly, I think that particularly the msfn.org forums are an awesome resource.

rmay635703 wrote on 2020-11-13, 12:39:

information from?
You got me curious now.

It's probably less hate, more of a "don't link this" much like the garden for macintoshes.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-15, 02:33. Edited 2 times in total.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 11 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2020-11-14, 02:52:
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-13, 22:20:
What do you mean with winworld hated here? I never seen anything on Vogons resembling some form of hatred present here for such […]
Show full quote

information from?
You got me curious now.

It's probably less hate, more of a "don't link this" much like the garden for macintoshes.

What do you mean with "garden of macintoshes"?
Just ftr, links to warez are forbidden, which is perfectly understandable. But that doesn't match well with rmay635703's description.
It would be best if we were to hear from him himself.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 19, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-14, 22:25:

What do you mean with "garden of macintoshes"?
Just ftr, links to warez are forbidden, which is perfectly understandable. But that doesn't match well with rmay635703's description.
It would be best if we were to hear from him himself.

I was talking about Macintosh Garden, which is both a repository for stuff you're going to be hardpressed to find nowadays, and also a wares site because it allows piracy.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 13 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We don't hate WinWorldPC - but as historically overwhelmingly the number of people who have dropped links to it on VOGONS have been linking to software WinWorld was hosting that was pirated Microsoft software, the vast majority of links to WinWorld have been removed from VOGONS. Links to their forum threads are even often flagged and reported by other VOGONS members as a link to piracy, whether that forum thread was involving it or not. It's probably just best to avoid these URLs overall. "Discussion of piracy" is looked down upon here on VOGONS anyways.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 19, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Offically, up to 166MHz using dual CPU card (either single or dual mode) but I'm cautious with dual cpu card since mine wouldn't boot at all. I'll wait till I have money and get single CPU card and try again.

Thank you for confirming that helps so much for me!

4.5V lithium battery?

Cheers,

Reply 16 of 19, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good news, UPDATE:

Yay! received the processor card with 150MHz Pentium compaq # 169174-002 from ebay and that does boot up, getting loads of errors related to configuration. I'll work through them when I get other items required, first thing need is get correct 4.5V battery holder and make one. This does not have Dallas to store the settings, it is based on external battery to keep settings.

The dual processor card does not boot so I need to figure out if I need to flash bios firmware or different motherboard.

Now need to find the softpaqs and utilitles for the Proliant 1500.

Cheers,

Reply 17 of 19, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original battery was a 4.5v litium battery. I replaced it with three standard 1,5v AA batteries and it seems to work fine.

The softpaqs for this system shouldn't be so hard to find. I can have a look if I have anything useful here.

I think I have some CDs that came with my server, not sure whats on them but it might be something useful.