VOGONS

First post, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I felt ambitious enough to take another stab at repairing an NEC ProSpeed 286 that I have tried many many times to repair unsuccessfully. At some point in the past before I obtained it, it suffered some sort of spill that entered through the RAM expansion port and left a white residue. That residue was clearly conductive because measured resistance across many of the pins to ground increased dramatically when the residue was cleaned off. But the machine remained dead. I replaced a couple faulty components on the internal power supply but no change.

This time I decided to try one of those little LPT port POST cards.
Finding screenshots online of other nearly identical machines (this one seems to be the only one with an orange display) and they're showing Phoenix BIOS v1.05.

The 4-digit LPT card showed a code of "--19" fairly consistently, or "0019"
The document that comes with the device says this code means "The 8254 timer test is over. Starting the memory refresh test next".
I found this page: http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/phoenixbios.htm that also gives a POST code 0x19 as meaning "Bit 9 First 64k RAM failure", which seemed very likely because it lands on a chip that is in close proximity to the spill site. So I inspected the chip with a magnifying glass and saw that there was some residue underneath it. So I blasted it out with contact cleaner and reassembled the machine to try it again.

No change in apparent behavior, but now the code on the diagnostic card is different. It consistently shows "0059" now.
I cannot find anything anywhere that tells me what 0x59 means.

Anyone have any insights?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you ever opened it up and checked the main board ? There could be damage from old CMOS battery or something else....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-11-14, 03:30:

Have you ever opened it up and checked the main board ? There could be damage from old CMOS battery or something else....

I have had it open dozens of times in my efforts to repair it. I have fully disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, inspected etc.
- Cleaned spill residue of some sort with alcahol
- Repaired a failing cap and an IC on the power supply
- Temporarily wired in a 350W ATX power to eliminate the power supply as a potential cause
- Found a cold solder joint that cracked on another cap - resoldered it
- Tested the crystals
- Removed and tested the CMOS battery - it is a NiCd rechargeable and it is fine
- Tested every possible combination on a set of DIP switches on the video adapter
- Removed and reseated BIOS chips, tried swapping in case they were incorrect odd/even placement
- Researched pinout of BIOS chips and made sure they were getting correct power
- Tested continuity of traces on an area of the board that had factory rework
- Changed CPU out with an identical CPU in case it was bad
- Made sure there wasn't a short in the reset switch
- Researched the pinout of the CPU and made sure it was getting correct voltages, etc.
- Checked for any hot components while powered up
- Finally got an LPT Diagnostic card and arrived here.

I'd have given up on it but I really love the orange display and wonderful keyboard on this thing. I could have bought three more of them for the price I've paid for tools and parts while trying to fix it. I have a couple sticks of 30-pin RAM on order because they have the same chips on them as what's soldered to the mainboard on this machine so I can replace RAM if so needed.

Reply 3 of 4, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, its new to me that these cards also exist for LPT port. However, your BIOS needs to support this way of output and I am not sure its the case for your one? Otherwise you only will get random codes from LPT port initialization.

You should try the supersoft diagnostic ROMs
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supersoft_lan … dmark%20ROM.htm
and will get an idea whats wrong. They also work on 286+.