VOGONS

First post, by OmniDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PCMCIA harddrive of my Omnibook 600CT (75MHz 486DX4, 16MB RAM) sadly bit the dust. It has been replaced by a PCMCIA to CF adapter and an 8GB CF card. On this 8GB CF card I installed DOS 6.22 via a virtual machine and that boots quite fine. But where's the fun in that? It ran Windows 95 OSR 2, so that's my goal.
Took out the CF card, mounted it in the VM I made and copied the installation files from win95\ to C:\windows\options\cabs. I don't have the drivers for the PCMCIA ODD anywhere, that's why I copied the files to the CF. Put the CF back into the machine, booted it up and started setup.exe. For good measure: I do have a valid license key here, as it came with the Omnibook and was stored very carefully.
The setup.exe runs quite fine as well. I have some old websites printed out here, and the guides said not to select any form of extra hardware (i.e. Network Adapter or Sound/Midi/Video Capture Card) - so I didn't. I'm also on the latest BIOS (4.01) which is necessary to install W95.

After the installation is where the problems begin. I cannot for the love of me get W95 to boot. After the post-installation reboot I'm greeted by the BIOS screen and that's it. I see no "Starting W95" of "Starting MS-DOS" displayed. It doesn't lock up either - I can still press the on/off button. When I put in a floppy, it just reads and reads and reads, but nothing happens. Resetting then (with the W95 boot floppy inserted!) will boot into the W95 boot floppy fine.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I do have some driver packs, but those should be started from the W95 GUI and... well, I can't get to that. Another issue is that I don't get any errors or messages or whatever. The cursor just keeps blinking and blinking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Found the issue. Sorry people! I put DOS 6.22 on the drive and used that to install Windows 95. However, fdisk makes the largest active partition 2GB... Using a W95 boot disk I found, I fdisk'd again and the max. primary active partition became just slightly more than 500 megs. I wasn't aware of that limitation... First time configuration is chugging along happily now. So, for future reference: W95 OSR 2 on the OmniBook does not like primary active partitions of more than about 504 megs...

Reply 1 of 1, by OmniDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, that wasn't it. After installing W95 I increased the partition size to 2GB and it booted fine. After which I made an error and had to start over... This time I used the EZ-drive overlay and made approximately 4 2GB partitions. fdisk sees them fine. I can format C: no issues. I can install to C: no issues, but I can't boot from C:\ at all now. Not even with the disk overlay. There are no settings in the BIOS to set - it's autodetect or bust. Is it possible the Omnibook itself has some kind of limitation to boot from larger partitions? That would be odd though, as it did boot from a 2GB partition at some point. I'm somewhat at a loss right now as of what's going on. FWIW, I can boot the CF no issues in my VM.