VOGONS

First post, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've got an SB0100 SB Live! 5.1-card.

Trying to install the VXD drivers for Win 98SE but it refuses and starts installing the WDM drivers.....

I've downloaded a install CD for the card and in the installation I can choose to install VXD or WMD drivers, I choose VXD but Windows starts asking for drivers under the installation and only wants wmd drivers...

I'm is getting really frustrated..

I try to run updvr98 in audio/English/win9xdrv/ on the CD to switch to VXD, but it don't work either. ...

Reply 3 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 16:13:
schlomoe99 wrote on 2020-11-16, 16:09:

Try using Device Manager to add the driver manually, and navigate to the VXD drivers on the disk when you do.

I've tried and it don't work.

Make sure the inf of the VXD driver you want to install has your card's PCI device ID in it .

Which driver CD or driver set are you using ?

Can you post the card's PCI device ID for the card, you can use pcilist.exe : https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html ?

Reply 4 of 30, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 16:17:
Make sure the inf of the VXD driver you want to install has your card's PCI device ID in it . […]
Show full quote
schlomoe99 wrote on 2020-11-16, 16:09:

Try using Device Manager to add the driver manually, and navigate to the VXD drivers on the disk when you do.

Make sure the inf of the VXD driver you want to install has your card's PCI device ID in it .

Can you post the card's PCI device ID for the card, you can use pcilist.exe : https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html ?

I've tried two different CD'S now.
One of them is:
https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-sb0100-retail-disc

I've downloaded the program now. What info do you want?

Reply 5 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 16:47:
I've tried two different CD'S now. One of them is: https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-sb0100-retail-disc […]
Show full quote
Make sure the inf of the VXD driver you want to install has your card's PCI device ID in it . […]
Show full quote

One of them is:

If you can post the equivalent of this screenshot for your card, it will include all required info (Vendor ID , Device ID , Susbsytem ID) :

pcilist_sblive.png
Filename
pcilist_sblive.png
File size
12.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

EDIT : Another option for your SB0100 is this Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Sound Blaster Live! cards (version 3.1)

Reply 6 of 30, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 18:01:
If you can post the equivalent of this screenshot for your card, it will include all required info (Vendor ID , Device ID , Susb […]
Show full quote
I've tried two different CD'S now. One of them is: https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-sb0100-retail-disc […]
Show full quote

One of them is:

If you can post the equivalent of this screenshot for your card, it will include all required info (Vendor ID , Device ID , Susbsytem ID) :

pcilist_sblive.png

EDIT : Another option for your SB0100 is this Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Sound Blaster Live! cards (version 3.1)

Thank you!

Attachments

Reply 7 of 30, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may not be the case, but SB AWE32, AWE64, SB Live and Audigy have common EEPROM issues - EEPROM contents are suddenly damaged. In the case of sb live, there are no automatic flashers tools for fix EEPROM content, so there are two ways:
1) desolder EEPROM IC and flash it on the programmer and put it back to sb board
2) just desolder EEPROM IC or remove the EEPROM by any means available to you (even with wire cutters) from board. In this case, the card will turn into a CT4670 model, this will not affect the work of the ability, on the contrary, if you have a CT4832 model, then the CD_SPDIF fader will appear in the mixer. But if you had a similar incident with the SB0060 model, then with this method of reviving you will lose a lot - the choice of six speakers, the choice of the ability to decode AC3 stream.

Links: Broken SB Live EEPROM issue description http://sblive.narod.ru/MustLive/MustLive.htm (in Russian)

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 8 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 18:13:
If you can post the equivalent of this screenshot for your card, it will include all required info (Vendor ID , Device ID , Susb […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

One of them is:

pcilist_sblive.png

Thank you!

The VXD drivers on the CD you linked to do not directly support your SB0100 variant (8069h Subsystem ID) . The WDM drivers do, which is likely the reason why they get installed despite you choosing the VXD ones .

As a workaround, I have modified the VXD drivers from that linked CD in a way that should let them work with your card . If you have trouble installing them, try the method mentioned here : Re: VDX-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!)

8069h Subsystem ID SB Live! modded drivers :

Filename
Win9xdrv_8069.zip
File size
4.4 MiB
Downloads
32 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 30, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 19:05:
The VXD drivers on the CD you linked to do not directly support your SB0100 variant (8069h Subsystem ID) . The WDM drivers do, w […]
Show full quote

pcilist_sblive.png

Thank you!

The VXD drivers on the CD you linked to do not directly support your SB0100 variant (8069h Subsystem ID) . The WDM drivers do, which is likely the reason why they get installed despite you choosing the VXD ones .

As a workaround, I have modified the VXD drivers from that linked CD in a way that should let them work with your card . If you have trouble installing them, try the method mentioned here : Re: VDX-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!)

Win9xdrv_8069.zip

Hi, thank you!
I installed the drivers and they installed fine, but when I rebooted my PC and after Win 98SE has loaded I'm getting "It is now safe to turn off your computer".

Reply 10 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 20:10:
The VXD drivers on the CD you linked to do not directly support your SB0100 variant (8069h Subsystem ID) . The WDM drivers do, w […]
Show full quote

Thank you!

Win9xdrv_8069.zip

Hi, thank you!
I installed the drivers and they installed fine, but when I rebooted my PC and after Win 98SE has loaded I'm getting "It is now safe to turn off your computer".

Sorry to hear that . If Windows keeps doing that at every boot, the best bet is to completely remove the drivers in safe mode ( including the inf files) and try to find another driver that works on your system . I'll see if I can find other drivers .

Reply 11 of 30, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 20:24:
Show full quote

Win9xdrv_8069.zip

Hi, thank you!

Sorry to hear that . If Windows keeps doing that at every boot, the best bet is to completely remove the drivers in safe mode ( including the inf files) and try to find another driver that works on your system . I'll see if I can find other drivers .

Thank you so much! 😀

Reply 12 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 20:30:

Hi, thank you!

Thank you so much! 😀

I have tried the inf mod in 2 slightly different ways and will post the resulting driver sets . It is VERY important that you do this Re: VDX-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!) before EVERY try at installing one of them .

Filename
Win9xdrv_8069_c.zip
File size
4.4 MiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license

EDIT : According to information I have seen in WDM driver INFs, your card seems to be an SB101 SB0101 variant, rather than an SB100 (even if that is what is written on the PCB) .

Last edited by darry on 2020-11-16, 21:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 21:15:
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-16, 20:30:

Thank you so much! 😀

I have tried the inf mod in 2 slightly different ways and will post the resulting driver sets . It is VERY important that you do this Re: VDX-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!) before EVERY try at installing one of them .

Win9xdrv_8069_c.zip

And here is the other one .

Filename
Win9xdrv_8069_b.zip
File size
4.4 MiB
Downloads
45 downloads
File license

Reply 15 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-16, 21:21:

Me 2. Only WDM works. Tried heaps of drivers and always the same.

I was a bit afraid of that . I have only explicitly gone for CT4830 variants as

a) I don't need or want 5.1 analogue audio (or 3 x s/PDIF out either for that matter)
b) I only use the digital (S/PDIF) out with an external DAC .
c) AFAIK, this model works with pretty much any driver (inf mod sometimes needed)

Reply 16 of 30, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VxD Audigy drivers from my guide might work.

If you want to give that a shot, you'll need to do a clean install of Windows first.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 17 of 30, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 21:34:
I was a bit afraid of that . I have only explicitly gone for CT4830 variants as […]
Show full quote

a) I don't need or want 5.1 analogue audio (or 3 x s/PDIF out either for that matter)
c) AFAIK, this model works with pretty much any driver (inf mod sometimes needed)

What does (b) mean? What else would you use it with?

Reply 18 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-16, 22:04:
I was a bit afraid of that . I have only explicitly gone for CT4830 variants as […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant as opposed to the analogue outs, which I never use .

Reply 19 of 30, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-11-16, 22:15:
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-16, 22:04:
Show full quote

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant as opposed to the analogue outs, which I never use .

Oh that makes sense. I currently use the SB0100 in a "late win98" PC (think P4 3ghz etc) with WDM drivers, and playing 2000+ games (e.g. bf1942) and it sounds and works fine. If I was building a "early win98/win95" machine (e.g. 95'-99 games), I would certainly use a card that worked with VXD drivers. Only problem, that era of systems I usually build around s370 boards with Via chipsets that have their own issues with SB Live!...