VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a computer (SBC) with PentiumIII (850 but I think supports up to ghz) on which I can only install ISA cards. I understand that ISA cards are great for dos due to pl3 and other things but I have never seen anyone use them on much more modern systems. So would it work on windowsXP games? I understand it may not have positional audio or anything like that, but would normal stereo support it in 1999/2000 games ???

tnks

Reply 1 of 27, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA on my RDD, it has Windows XP and worked fine.

Unfortunately I had to replace it with an Ensoniq AudioPCI first and a SB Live! then because the Asus TUV4X has no ISA slots, or else I'd still use it.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 2 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand it may not have positional audio or anything like that, but would normal stereo support it in 1999/2000 games ?

SB16 can output only 44kHz. Sound quality in later games may vary.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 08:03:

And can exhist a “modern” isa card to use with win98/winxp?

YMF719 is great for both DOS and Windows. AWE64 is OK, but only really interesting with the ram expansion.

Reply 6 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say ISA card is more or less comparable with onboard AC97 sound chips in XP. Nothing fancy but it'll do the job of making sound just fine.
You have the benefit that XP includes the drivers so you can listen to the install music as well 😉

Win98 isa is fine, in fact both cards kolderman mention above only really start to get fully utilised in windows

Reply 7 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-17, 08:11:
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 08:03:

And can exhist a “modern” isa card to use with win98/winxp?

YMF719 is great for both DOS and Windows. AWE64 is OK, but only really interesting with the ram expansion.

but the difference in cost between the two cards is enormous ...

Reply 9 of 27, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SB Live,Audigy, and even X-Fi cards are very inexpensive. If you are using a Pentium 3, having hardware accelerated audio could give you improved performance in games. That's not even including the higher quality audio you'll get.

Yes, a SB16 should work, but there are many other options that can give you a better experience that are inexpensive.

Reply 10 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2020-11-17, 14:12:

SB Live,Audigy, and even X-Fi cards are very inexpensive. If you are using a Pentium 3, having hardware accelerated audio could give you improved performance in games. That's not even including the higher quality audio you'll get.

Yes, a SB16 should work, but there are many other options that can give you a better experience that are inexpensive.

I not have a PCI SLOT, only ISA.

"Yes, a SB16 should work, but there are many other options that can give you a better experience that are inexpensive."
which one?

Reply 11 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 10:38:

[...]

YMF719 more expensive? There's one on eBay for EUR 13.49 Buy It Now...

Apart from that, any other card that supports WSS (and so 48kHz) should be fine too. There are lots of options, which is best depends on exactly what you want.

Reply 12 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-11-17, 15:27:
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 10:38:

[...]

YMF719 more expensive? There's one on eBay for EUR 13.49 Buy It Now...

Apart from that, any other card that supports WSS (and so 48kHz) should be fine too. There are lots of options, which is best depends on exactly what you want.

I mean that the price difference between the ymf719 and the awe64 is huge, not that the ymf719 costs is huge.

I don't know exactly what requirements an isa card that works well on windowsXP should have, I don't know which games I will try on this card, I would need to know if they exist and what models they are. I mean a card that can use stereo sound from games up to the 2000s (target games of a 1.0Ghz PIII cpu).

Reply 15 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only requirement is you can find XP drivers.
If the card supported stereo and they have bothered to write an XP driver it'll support stereo as well.

To keep the list short I'd look for
SB16/Vibra 16. Native XP support but nothing special
AWE32/64, Basically a SB16 but you can mess around with sound fonts for Midi playback
YMF card, Gives you XG Midi

Reply 19 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 21:27:

the most advanced isa card is the one with yamaha chip?

I would not say advanced, but it has genuine OPL, pretty good soft synth that works with DOS games in Win98, bug free midi, clean digital sound, works well for Windows apps, just a good all-round card.