VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TechieDude wrote on 2020-11-17, 21:40:

In terms of raw sound, yes.
In terms of hardware MIDI capabilities, it's the AWE32/64.

Why exactly do you need hardware MIDI capabilities under Windows XP? Are there even XP drivers for the AWE?

A system like this can use a software MIDI solution that can leave the (even in hardware terms mediocre) AWE MIDI in the dust. Things like the one in the Yamaha drivers for YMF-719, or indeed the Sound Canvas VA.

Alessandro, the only requirement is Windows Sound System (i.e. WSS) support, to ensure that 48kHz is supported. AWE does NOT support 48kHz, so anything that's not legacy DOS-based (<=44kHz) will sound crap on it. It is not a good card for Windows XP.

Reply 21 of 27, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-11-17, 22:00:

Why exactly do you need hardware MIDI capabilities under Windows XP? Are there even XP drivers for the AWE?

A system like this can use a software MIDI solution that can leave the (even in hardware terms mediocre) AWE MIDI in the dust. Things like the one in the Yamaha drivers for YMF-719, or indeed the Sound Canvas VA.

Alessandro, the only requirement is Windows Sound System (i.e. WSS) support, to ensure that 48kHz is supported. AWE does NOT support 48kHz, so anything that's not legacy DOS-based (<=44kHz) will sound crap on it. It is not a good card for Windows XP.

Soundfonts are better IMHO when it comes to MIDI (since you can load whatever soundfont you want, without straining the CPU, even though that's besides the point on a 1GHZ P3) and I think there is a way to use AWE Control Panel on Win2k/XP.
Plus, XG SoftSynth can be used with any card, so you don't NEED a YMF-719 to use it, although like you already explained, it's better for 48KHz sound due to WSS. So if that's more important, go for the YMF.

Reply 22 of 27, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i not like midi, i prefer other type of sound if available.
I not need a "all around card" for dos i already have sbpro2, sb2, sb16.

I only need (if i understand correctly) and ISA card with wss support... so which model you suggest? the one with winXP driver and good sound quality.

tnks

Reply 23 of 27, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 23:20:
i not like midi, i prefer other type of sound if available. I not need a "all around card" for dos i already have sbpro2, sb2, […]
Show full quote

i not like midi, i prefer other type of sound if available.
I not need a "all around card" for dos i already have sbpro2, sb2, sb16.

I only need (if i understand correctly) and ISA card with wss support... so which model you suggest? the one with winXP driver and good sound quality.

tnks

In this case, you should follow dionb's advice and go for a YMF-719.

Reply 24 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A good YMF719 card would do the trick, but there are lots of other WSS cards out there. Pretty much anything with a dedicated or integrated AD or Crystal CODEC would do the trick. That means most Aztech cards, a lot of OPTi options, Crystal and AD-only cards, and C-Media CMI-8330. As they're basically acting as dumb DAC/CODEC for Windows, there are no significant differences in features.

So then it's just a matter of price and analog sound quality. Probably the best option there would be a good brand card with Crystal chip, although AD would be fine if the PCB is good. This is actually a decent use case for the Terratec Base-1. It's a ubiquitous, cheap ISA card with a good PCB containing only the AD1816JS chip. It's absolutely useless in DOS (awful OPL3 emulation, bad Soundblaster compatibility), but used like you want to it should be fine, and there are XP drivers for it. There are two in Italy for EUR 10 each on eBay.

The Yamaha YMF719 is a better chip, but the added value is in things you don't want (DOS) and cards it's used on are a very mixed bag. Still, a card with that on it is a safe bet. Other alternative would be anything with the CS423x-range, but again, card quality can vary, and good ones (Terratec, Guillemot) can be expensive.

Reply 26 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-11-17, 23:53:
absolutely nice suggest! […]
Show full quote

absolutely nice suggest!

about yamaha chip, i found on ebay variety of models...
YMF719-E
YMF719E-S
YMF719-S

Differences between these OPL3-SAx chips are minimal and irrelevant to you as you just want it as a CODEC. Look at card PCB/layout quality (and if you can't judge that: look at the brand), not the exact chip.