VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to find the manual for or a BIOS I can install on an Amptron P4-920LSD Motherboard.

Having issues getting the board to run. I got it up once and got into the BIOS. I changed settings to make the proc the right speed and I also turned on Floppy seek on boot. Ever since, when I power it on, it checks the floppy drive before any video comes up and just keeps trying to read it. Its giving ED EC EE codes which point to it trying to read a floppy or initializing a floppy (its an AMIBIOS). I've tried clearing CMOS / Pulling the battery and unplugging the PSU for 8 hours but it keeps doing the same thing....I know it works as I was in the BIOS, but now I cant get past the ED EC EE errors that show up on my motherboard tester...hoping a manual or bios file I can maybe boot to would help.

I want to use it as a test board as it has a universal AGP slot and you can change the AGP Verison in the BIOS from 1x / 2x / 4x

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this the right board ? http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/6446
(Amptron = PCChips)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amptron = PC Chips. This board is also known as PC Chips M920LR

Not that that immediately leads to a manual, but it doubles your options.

However...

If you have this sort of fluctuating issue with a board from this era, I'd worry less about manuals (board probably has less than three jumpers...) and more about dry/leaking/popped capacitors. Chances are that they're messing up VCore voltages, which explains why the system isn't stable.

Reply 3 of 6, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know and YES that is the board........thanks for the link to the manual....

As for the caps, none are bulging or anything, but I guess you could be right about the caps being dry.......

But like I said before I put floppy seek during boot on, I was able to get into the BIOS. now the board boots, no video and about 10 seconds after boot, the floppy drive lights up and you can hear it trying to read (no disk in it) and it just continues to try and read the floppy drive. If I pull the floppy cable, it sits at floppy seek. Clearing CMOS did nothing, as I said.....would be worth replacing the caps?

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smack2k wrote on 2020-11-17, 00:50:

Can caps that look fine in terms of no bulges / no leaks still be bad and cause things like board powering on but not posting, strange POST error codes?

Yes. If the Vreg caps are going bad then cpu voltages are unstable, that can cause lockups, failed POST, etc.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun