VOGONS

First post, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got my hands on what I thought was a MSI 865PE NEO2-FIS2R except the layout is different, and it says NEO2-P and 6728 VER: 2 on the board; it seems to fall in line with the manual for the Neo3 as far as board layout is concerned.

Anywho, I don't know what all these bios beeps mean exactly and need some help. It'd be one thing if it just, well, beep beep'd but it seems to throw a number of them after a pause or two and causing a wire in my brain to cross as I don't know if I should count those as separate things the bios is trying to tell me about or total them up.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8CejFiXbU

Here's hoping my mystery board didn't arrive with something broken 😀

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 1 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't help you with the beep codes, but I can tell you the board is an 865PE Neo2-P Platinum Edition.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/865PE … latinum_Edition

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.acs.edu.au/info/computers/compute … beep-codes.aspx

Search "ami bios beep codes" and you will see many pages that will help you

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 10, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I take it 2 shorts, a pause, and 1 short counts as separate reports then?

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card

Reply 4 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know, as I never had errors on a computer with a case speaker. I use a POST card to get error codes. Sorry.

Reply 5 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked a few sites, and can't find a description for that combination

Reply 6 of 10, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I've ruled out the CPU being an issue unless the extra P4 I grabbed happened to just go bad as soon as I moved it (it didn't). Assuming the longer pauses denote different reports, my next guess would be to try memory but I doubt every single stick I've thrown in there has also somehow gone bad (2 modules were in there already but I tried another 2, one at a time, from a known working, all are DDR-333); either way I think I can scrounge up some more.

Failing all that, guess I'll see if I can't get me one of those POST cards and see if it'll give me anything more specific.

EDIT: although, honestly at this point I suspect maybe the old board just up and fried/borked the known working ones when I had tried them over there

Reply 7 of 10, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To me, it sounds like it boots, then complains about CMOS settings being reset to default (dead battery). I've had this sound combo happen on one of my P4 AMI boards.

If you don't see anything on the screen, try a known good video card and monitor. Also try clearing the CMOS.

Reply 8 of 10, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-11-18, 13:09:

If you don't see anything on the screen, try a known good video card and monitor. Also try clearing the CMOS.

new battery and setting the jumper to clear CMOS didn't change anything. Forgot to grab the only other AGP I've got from work (which I know works) so I guess it's tomorrow's problem >:/

Although, I've noticed every time I flick the PSU back on it seems to pulse power through the board for a bit before calming down.. on the old board flicking the PSU on would just turn the machine on and it would ignore the case button presses; think it might be going out? It's an Antec SL400 that came with the system forever ago (early 2000s) when my dad got it

Reply 10 of 10, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I'm not sure exactly what I did but yeah those beeps were some incorrect bios setting; I guess the monitor I was originally using was fried out because even with a known working GPU I pulled from work it still wouldn't show a picture.. Swapped it out and bingo we have lift off

Well, I'll be holding on to the bit of DDR I ordered as spares, just in case. Really just glad to find out the 5900XT my dad left in there is also still very functional, means I can stop watching a number of ebay listings haha. Either way, I'm off to beat Windows 98SE onto the thing and pray nothing else goes awry so thanks for y'all's help