VOGONS

First post, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am really getting crazy here, I recently got an old Gigabyte GA-6BA motherboard for a really good price, I tested it and it works like a charm! but I got a really "small" problem... I have no idea what connectors are needed for the PS/2 mouse port (the one with just 4 pins) 😐

I had been looking for such connectors to buy somewhere or to being able to do something with this mobo but I cannot find _anything_ similar in Google... In fact I don't even know if they sell them anymore 😐

The same problem is with the USB connector in the motherboard, what USB version is that? 1.0? 1.1? I am getting crazy and I have no idea how to connect neither a mouse or even a keyboard (yes, I see it has one of those old AT keyboard connectors, I will have to get an adapter or something because, well, I don't have one of those old keyboards).

I even found a video with someone explaining the motherboard connectors but even he is not sure it is 1.1 or 1.0 😐 (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sewt2pqc3us&f … =youtu.be&t=582), the PS/2 mouse connector is shown at 9:29

Can somebody help me with some guides around these two connectors? any help to find how to connect them (and even better, where to buy if they still exists) would be heavily appreciated!

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FWIW here's the manual - Gigabyte still has support info for this board in its site - but that's not going to help you as it has all pinouts (including banal 2-pin connectors) *except* the damned PS/2 and USB.

Do you have a multimeter? In that case they're easy to figure out.

USB is determined by the chipset, i440BX supports USB 1.1. Doesn't make any difference to the connector though. That can be all kinds of things, read this article:
https://pinouts.ru/Motherboard/usb_internal_pinout.shtml
Basically you want to find GND continuity (with board powered off) and +5V (board powered on). That will tell you where the bits that can cause damage go. Usually 1 and 2 would be +5V and and 7 and 8 would be GND, but one side reversed was quite common...

As for PS/2, same idea - find +5V (=Vcc) and GND, then play around with the rest till it works. See here: ps/2 header

Reply 2 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cprieto wrote on 2020-11-18, 23:20:
I am really getting crazy here, I recently got an old Gigabyte GA-6BA motherboard for a really good price, I tested it and it wo […]
Show full quote

I am really getting crazy here, I recently got an old Gigabyte GA-6BA motherboard for a really good price, I tested it and it works like a charm! but I got a really "small" problem... I have no idea what connectors are needed for the PS/2 mouse port (the one with just 4 pins) 😐

I had been looking for such connectors to buy somewhere or to being able to do something with this mobo but I cannot find _anything_ similar in Google... In fact I don't even know if they sell them anymore 😐

The same problem is with the USB connector in the motherboard, what USB version is that? 1.0? 1.1? I am getting crazy and I have no idea how to connect neither a mouse or even a keyboard (yes, I see it has one of those old AT keyboard connectors, I will have to get an adapter or something because, well, I don't have one of those old keyboards).

I even found a video with someone explaining the motherboard connectors but even he is not sure it is 1.1 or 1.0 😐 (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sewt2pqc3us&f … =youtu.be&t=582), the PS/2 mouse connector is shown at 9:29

Can somebody help me with some guides around these two connectors? any help to find how to connect them (and even better, where to buy if they still exists) would be heavily appreciated!

Cheers!

I've got a pretty complete file library for this board, including various 'complete' manual versions which Gigabyte no longer host and a working v2.5A board with the mouse port wired up. Not sure if board revision matters (which is yours), but give me a couple of hours and I'll dig up some info for you.

Reply 3 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GA-6BA USB Header Pinout.jpg
Filename
GA-6BA USB Header Pinout.jpg
File size
51.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
GA-6BA PS2 Header.JPG
Filename
GA-6BA PS2 Header.JPG
File size
309.44 KiB
Views
File license
GA-6BA PS2 Mouse Header Pinout.jpg
Filename
GA-6BA PS2 Mouse Header Pinout.jpg
File size
49.45 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 5, by cprieto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks @PC Hoarder Patrol for the diagrams, my mobo revision is 2.4 and now that I know I have to made the cables by myself it will be a lot easier (I guess) and a more entertaining project 😁

Reply 5 of 5, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cprieto wrote on 2020-11-19, 12:24:

Wow, thanks @PC Hoarder Patrol for the diagrams, my mobo revision is 2.4 and now that I know I have to made the cables by myself it will be a lot easier (I guess) and a more entertaining project 😁

do you know why this motherboard has jumpers for voodoo card on revision 3.0?
that means voodoo3 can´t be used on older revisions? whats the last bios update that can be used for older revision motherboards?