VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-26, 16:34:

I have that same LSI card, it does work to boot DOS without drivers. Your card's BIOS may be disabled.

Another possibility: the card may not install its own BIOS int 13 routines if you have the main system BIOS setup with an IDE hard disk. If you try to boot from a floppy with *only* a SCSI disk connected it should appear as drive C:

ok i did try that and don't think my mobo has it own bios int 13 and where in bios setting would it in to enable scsi bios etc, if i can

Reply 41 of 46, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:08:

I have that same LSI card, it does work to boot DOS without drivers. Your card's BIOS may be disabled.

Another possibility: the card may not install its own BIOS int 13 routines if you have the main system BIOS setup with an IDE hard disk. If you try to boot from a floppy with *only* a SCSI disk connected it should appear as drive C:

ok i did try that and don't think my mobo has it own bios int 13 and where in bios setting would it in to enable scsi bios etc, if i can

If the board has onboard IDE, it has int 13 in the BIOS. It would be pointless having IDE connectors without BIOS support.

Reply 43 of 46, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:35:

Just set the main bios to "no hard drives "

i did do that and it still won't see the hdd and install dos 6.22 despite the scsi card bios appears during post and only can seem to get to work with drivers installed on a boot floppy and i did try the card and hdd in my windows 98 pc and no issues there, it see everything and works

maybe the scsi card is too new for my 486 mobo

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2020-11-26, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 46, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:20:
Robhalfordfan wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:08:

If the board has onboard IDE, it has int 13 in the BIOS. It would be pointless having IDE connectors without BIOS support.

oh i did not know that, learn something new everyday, thank you

Reply 45 of 46, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your scsi HDD set to ID 0?

If you press the displayed key combination to enter the lsi card's configuration do you find any options related to booting or int 13?

Reply 46 of 46, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-26, 21:50:

Is your scsi HDD set to ID 0?

If you press the displayed key combination to enter the lsi card's configuration do you find any options related to booting or int 13?

when loading the drivers in pure dos on my 486 and using the config program for it - it say it scsi id 0 and see and works etc

when i do not load the drivers on 486 it doesn't see anything

when i try it in p4 win98 build, not a single issue and work no problem - i am probably guessing the card is too new for a 486 pc as the card is dated 1999 and my 486 bios is dated 1995

and there's no key combo on my 486 but in win 98 pc, there is a key combo to enter it config