VOGONS

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of pci video and sound cards,which get detected in device manager ,but when i install the drivers nothing happens,they just keep showing up in device manger with the yellow exclamation mark (i tried different driver versions),i checked them there is no visible damage,no broken traces,caps are ok,i cleaned the card and pci connector,sprayed them with contact cleaner,tried them on diferent systems,nothing helped.
Is there anything else i can try,before i recycle them?
I was thinking to try the heatgun on them.

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote on 2020-11-26, 19:34:

I have a couple of pci video and sound cards,which get detected in device manager ,but when i install the drivers nothing happens,they just keep showing up in device manger with the yellow exclamation mark (i tried different driver versions),i checked them there is no visible damage,no broken traces,caps are ok,i cleaned the card and pci connector,sprayed them with contact cleaner,tried them on diferent systems,nothing helped.
Is there anything else i can try,before i recycle them?
I was thinking to try the heatgun on them.

I assume that what you mean is that even when installing a device driver manually on the device through device manager, it still fails to work. If you double click on the problem device, one of the tabs should give you a short explanation of the issue .

I would try affected cards in a different computer before doing anything drastic .

Also could you give some examples of affected cards, the mainboard you are using and your OS (EDIT: Is it the one one in your signature) ?

Reply 2 of 4, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes,what i mean is that no matter if i install the drivers with a installer or manually,the card still doesn't gets recognized,it just shows up in device manager as a "pci multimedia device"with the yellow exclamation mark.
As i said i tried different computers,different motherboards the only common thing was the os ,Windows 98 SE.
As for the cards the ones i tested lately was a voodoo 1 and a unknown brand sound card with yamaha xg 744 sound chip.
I'll post some screens with the device manager messages when i have some time.

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote on 2020-11-26, 20:53:
Yes,what i mean is that no matter if i install the drivers with a installer or manually,the card still doesn't gets recognized, […]
Show full quote

Yes,what i mean is that no matter if i install the drivers with a installer or manually,the card still doesn't gets recognized,it just shows up in device manager as a "pci multimedia device"with the yellow exclamation mark.
As i said i tried different computers,different motherboards the only common thing was the os ,Windows 98 SE.
As for the cards the ones i tested lately was a voodoo 1 and a unknown brand sound card with yamaha xg 744 sound chip.
I'll post some screens with the device manager messages when i have some time.

Try using PCIlist to show PCI device IDs .

There are counterfeit yamha 744 cards with remarked chips . It could be one of those .

As for the Voodoo 1 and other cards, it coukd conceivably due to an EEPROM gone bad . I have only seen that once or twice over the years . You having several cards with that symptom seems odd/unlucky to me .

Reply 4 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yamaha 74x drivers are notoriously sensitive to PCI ID. I had a Dell SE440BX board with one onboard. It had been flashed with Intel retail BIOS. That messed up the PCI IDs. Result was exactly as in this topic, the device was detected but no drivers would install, not even after manually changing PCI ID in the driver. Only after flashing back to Dell BIOS did it immediately start working.

Here it's probably not a BIOS thing, but this card clearly needs specific drivers for it. Then again, if multiple cards in the same system show same symptoms, it might be BIOS-related after all.