VOGONS

First post, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm kinda new to building old computers. Anyway, what kind of case is compatible with this mobo? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~doAAOSwbYFfujXp/s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

Reply 1 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do the holes line up in an ATX case? Possibly an early case that understands AT layout?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 17, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some later AT cases had 2 holes in the back, a larger one for the common 5-pin DIN keyboard connector and a smaller one below for the PS/2 mouse port. When using a motherboard like yours, the PS/2 keyboard connector should line up with the larger hole.

That motherboard is Batman's Revenge from Intel, I have one but with the large AT keyboard connector instead of the PS/2 ports.

Reply 4 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember, I'll check tomorrow whether the holes on mine line up in an ATX case, if nobody gives a definitive reply sooner. Mine only has the AT keyboard connector.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That board came from an oem system. That is a socket 5 board right?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-30, 04:32:

That board came from an oem system. That is a socket 5 board right?

It's socket 4. It's a Batman's Revenge that has had the AT keyboard replaced by a PS/2 connector and a PS/2 mouse connector added.

Probably also needs the Dallas chip replacing.

Reply 7 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, ok. That is the one listed for $280 + shipping... Crazy. There is one with the standard AT keyboard connector for "only" $100 + shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-Socket-4-mother … 0-/264902866451

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 17, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-11-30, 04:06:

Some later AT cases had 2 holes in the back, a larger one for the common 5-pin DIN keyboard connector and a smaller one below for the PS/2 mouse port. When using a motherboard like yours, the PS/2 keyboard connector should line up with the larger hole.

That motherboard is Batman's Revenge from Intel, I have one but with the large AT keyboard connector instead of the PS/2 ports.

Yes I'm aware, but out of morbid curiosity why are they called the "Batman" motherboards?

Reply 9 of 17, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-11-30, 06:40:

Yes I'm aware, but out of morbid curiosity why are they called the "Batman" motherboards?

Intel always liked to pick odd codenames for their products. 'Batman' didn't support to 66 MHz Pentium, but 'Batman's Revenge' did.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 10 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-11-30, 06:40:
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-11-30, 04:06:

Back in the first half of the 1990s the codenames were all popular culture related, there are also boards called Zappa and Hendrix.

2nd half of the 1990s they shifted to cities, so you had names like Orlando, Anchorage, Atlanta, Maui and Seattle. Frequently (but not always) the first two letters of the official model name/number correspond with the code name, so Seattle is SE440BX, Atlanta AL440LX etc.

Reply 11 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-11-30, 08:37:

Back in the first half of the 1990s the codenames were all popular culture related, there are also boards called Zappa and Hendrix.

Ooh! I want them. What are they? 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2020-11-30, 08:43:
dionb wrote on 2020-11-30, 08:37:

Ooh! I want them. What are they? 😀

Zappa is Intel Advanced/ZP (i.e. the prototype i430FX-with-PLB cache board)
Hendrix is Intel Premiere/ATLX (Batman with onboard VGA)

While looking for the official name of Hendrix I came across this page that lists them all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_codenames

Reply 13 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. There are a few Zappa boards on eBay. Might have to buy one just for the name 😀

Reply 15 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes.

CPU options for socket 4 are Pentium 60, 66 and Pentium Overdrive 120/133.

Here is the manual:
http://ohwc.narod.ru/man-dat/mainboards/intel … ans_revenge.pdf

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 17, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My MS-5146 has the same PS/2 port layout as the Batman's Revenge board.
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3669

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Looking at the holes nearby, it can accommodate a variety of configs, AT keyboard + PS/2 mouse, PS/2 keyboard + mouse w/large gap between the connectors
(maybe for an OEM case?) . It also has headers/pads for external keyboard and mouse ports. (JKB and JMS).
It does fit in a normal AT case, the screw holes match.