VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this PSU in a new old stock computer case that was made in 2001. I assume that the PSU is garbage and I should not use it. If the PSU is good, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201130_125408.jpg
    Filename
    20201130_125408.jpg
    File size
    291.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20201130_125451.jpg
    Filename
    20201130_125451.jpg
    File size
    844.94 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 11, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fan seems temp controlled. That's a plus.

How heavy is it in terms of weight. 😁

It's not a 100% correct manner of course, but there are some PSU's who are very light and scream for instance 550 Watt on the label. Those are trash. Most of the time passive PFC.

This one 'looks' alright. 😀

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 11, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Including the cables, it weighs 1.3kg / 2lbs, 14oz. It doesn't feel "too light" in my opinion, but it is not especially heavy either.

The last time I used a no-name PSU like this, it literally exploded. Sparks shot out the back of the case and it fried my motherboard.

I likely won't use this PSU either way, but I don't really know how tell a good no-name PSU from a bad one. I almost always stick to name brand PSUs in my personal builds.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get an account on hardforum.com and post in the PSU forum.

They should be able to give you a bit more info from your pic and may ask for some more pics.

My guess is that it is trash.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From a design point of view, it seems that the 300W rating for that unit is adequate, and the manufacturer did not skimp on components such as EMI filtering, fan controller, and so on. That transformer should be able to do 300W without issue, and even though it's not possible to see the switching transistors or the output diodes clearly, they're probably fine too.

The big question here is the caps, I cannot see what brand they are but they appear to be on good shape. However, keep in mind this unit is from the capacitor plague era, so be careful. If you feel you're up to the task, this can be a really nice 5V-heavy unit after a recap. Otherwise, check output voltages if you intend to use it as-is.

Reply 5 of 11, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I Googled this PSU's model number, HPC-300-101. I found this same model number on a Dell and Enlight PSU. They both have the same specs and physically look the same.

If this is a generic/re-branded Dell PSU, it may actually not be too bad. Also, it seems that Enlight is generally considered a decent PSU brand. Am I correct?

Reply 7 of 11, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tegrady wrote on 2020-11-30, 20:55:

So I Googled this PSU's model number, HPC-300-101. I found this same model number on a Dell and Enlight PSU. They both have the same specs and physically look the same.

If this is a generic/re-branded Dell PSU, it may actually not be too bad. Also, it seems that Enlight is generally considered a decent PSU brand. Am I correct?

The capacitors are Teapo (luxon).

Reply 8 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks to be fairly complete, although it's hard to be more specific without checking semiconductor ratings and capacitor selection (edit: Teapo is mid tier but can last in PSU applications given decent cooling). I'm also terrible at spotting two transistor regulator circuits and always have to check part numbers. Better designs use an integrated module with current and voltage protection to produce standby voltages.

Looking into OEMs, I think this one might be from Sirfa. It's not Delta, but it could be worse.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 11, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got a psu tester and hooked up the psu. This is what I got. I assume that the error codes for the +12v2 and 5vsb just indicates that this psu does not have those voltages, not that there is something wrong with the psu. Is that correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201202_132150.jpg
    Filename
    20201202_132150.jpg
    File size
    216.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 11, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The label does give good advice - "select the right voltage!"

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 11 of 11, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voltages look good and gives you somewhat of an indication. You are testing the PSU without proper load.

Hook up a replaceable/spare mainboard, mid-end graphics card and some hdd's. Measure the voltages again with a multimeter.

Then again, no guarantees with that old stuff. 😜

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856