VOGONS

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

I have this old VGA that I really love.
I don't want to be sentimental but she followed me in every city I lived and saved my @ss countless times.
She has a memory slot to upgrade the ram to 8megs. This way I could see a decent 2D at good resolutions maybe and put her on another PC I am building just for her.

Problem is, the ATI simm I buyed on Ebay do not work with her. Do I need to search exactly for the same chips (and speed)?
Or is just an issue with the simm?
Or a vga bios update maybe?
It is a 1024200400.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please post a good picture of the video card.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 15, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw online that the Rage pro memory is clocked at 100mhz.

The memory simm I bought is rated at 125mhz...

Is this the problem?
Can I update the bios of the card with a new one?

Reply 7 of 15, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(cleaning) Alcohol should do the trick. Sometimes I also use naphtha.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 9 of 15, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes isopropyl and a q-tip should do the trick. Use the most pure you have, 90% or higher is best.

Also you can use the eraser of a standard no. 2 pencil to clean the contacts, just rub gently until they shine.

Reply 11 of 15, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to write in an old thread but I wanted to know if the problem was solved cause I've also that video card model but only without TV outputs and on a sticker there's the compatibility notice to upgrade to 100-401012 4MB rams but I could find only the same modules code above or the specific 10ns version but still different code. How to be sure they are compatible?

Reply 14 of 15, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know if it'll help figure out why the module didn't work, but here are some photos of a 4MB module from an AIW Pro.

ATi_4MB_Module.jpg
Filename
ATi_4MB_Module.jpg
File size
310.81 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
ATi_AIWPro_OnBoardRAM.jpg
Filename
ATi_AIWPro_OnBoardRAM.jpg
File size
109.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

[edit: I've done a quick comparison of that 1024200400 with my 1024200300 and the top side looks to be very nearly identical. Only difference seems to be the size of what I guess are the pick-and-place location identifier marks, and the physical size of some of the capacitors (though that might just be an illusion caused by different lighting). I would try the card with just the on board 4MB, to test if it auto-detects how much RAM there is, but the machine it was living in hasn't been turned on for <mumble> years so I'd need to check it out first.]

ATi_4MB_Module_Comparison.jpg
Filename
ATi_4MB_Module_Comparison.jpg
File size
199.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception