VOGONS

First post, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

QDI's solution is called 'TwinMagic' and seems even cooler to me. So far you cannot purchase the dual Socket370 card for Slot1 on its own, you have to get the BX-motherboard with it. This makes sense though, because not every single BX-motherboard supports dual-CPU operations, dual operation requires a special ASIC on the board.

We will see which solution proves to be better. Abit has the advantage of providing less sensitive connectors, the CPUs are directly plugged into the board. On the other hand, the QDI-solution is less wasteful. The single BX-motherboard can still be used for any current Intel P6-CPU, either by directly plugging it in to the Slot1 or via a converter card. If Intel removes the AN15-bonding wire from the Celeron PPGA CPUs it doesn't become quite as pointless as the Abit BP6. Anyway, I'd like to congratulate each of the two board makers for their innovative idea, which won't make them a lot of friends within Intel though.

QDI TwinMagic.jpg
Filename
QDI TwinMagic.jpg
File size
39.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source: http://www.thg.ru/business/19990611/print.html

Had anyone tried to recreate such adapter or intrigued to make one? On surface level this looks like a cool solution to scratch that dual CPU itch without looking for a decent dual slot/socket board.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Original adapter is most likely compatible only with PGA Celerons.

Reply 3 of 16, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.computer-specifications.com/specif … card-Specs.html

[[The specs for TwinMagic (BrillianX 2 + TM CPU card) comes in these configurations with a retail price tag. The configuration LegendQDI provides comes with a 450~850MHz Intel Pentium III, 233~450MHz Intel Pentium II or 233~533MHz Intel Celeron Supports Dual Intel Socket 370 processors by using Twin Magic Card. Ultra ATA/33 PCI/ISA/AGP n/a.]]

Reply 4 of 16, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope this one has a sort of custom retention mechanism. It looks like, with the CPUs and Fans installed, would be enough heavy to f*ck the slot and the board, specially with beefy later coppermine Celerons/P3.

Reply 5 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote:

or 233~533MHz Intel Celeron Supports Dual Intel Socket 370 processors by using Twin Magic Card.

So that's exactly what I've expected. Only PPGA Celerons are supported with that adapter. It would be interesting to recreate such adapter, but with Coppermine/Tualatin support.

Reply 7 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would require specific chipsets, which were designed for servers. Your standard 440BX can't work with more than two physical CPUs.

Reply 8 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-12-02, 15:58:

That would require specific chipsets, which were designed for servers. Your standard 440BX can't work with more than two physical CPUs.

I never specified it would be easy and given the 450GX is limited to 4 CPUs, but the ALR 6x6 supports 6 CPUs I can't see why a similar solution could not be used.

Reply 9 of 16, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2020-12-02, 16:30:

I never specified it would be easy and given the 450GX is limited to 4 CPUs, but the ALR 6x6 supports 6 CPUs I can't see why a similar solution could not be used.

Man, the CPU board on that machine has 2 CPLDs in the CPU card... But what is more, It has 2 450GX Northbridges! (With each Northbridge is running 3CPUs and accessing half of the memory... Most probably this unusual configuration isn't even NUMA and would require a custom HAL in XP/2k3 Windowses). I've seen the photos on both the CPU and the Logic Board.

Is not the same thing as your of-the-shelf Slot1 board, even if it is double slot flavor.

Reply 10 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyoenmadan wrote on 2020-12-02, 18:10:

Most probably this unusual configuration isn't even NUMA and would require a custom HAL in XP/2k3 Windowses)..

Running XP is problematic as it only supports two sockets and 2003 won't run at all. Looking at http://www.cpushack.com/2019/01/14/part-2-min … rver-from-1997/ you should see that a custom HAL is not needed for the beta release of .NET/XP server though.

Another interesting aspect of the ALR 6x6 is that it works with 6 x P-II Overdrives which are only supported in Dual CPU systems. Given there are 3 CPUs on each card your guess about 3 on each 450GX seems unlikely and there must be some special hardware.

The reason I mentioned the ALR 6x6 in the first place is as an example of a system that overcomes the limitations of the MCH chipset by having special extra hardware. I suspect that in theory this is possible for any MCH chipset including the 440BX.

Reply 12 of 16, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-12-01, 19:53:

It would be interesting to recreate such adapter, but with Coppermine/Tualatin support.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-12-02, 20:48:

That's absolutely not the topic of this thread though.

I can't see why you feel this given your statement about one with Coppermine/Tualatin support. To me it seems reasonable to consider if a pair of such an adapters could allow four CPUs to be used in a dual Slot 1 board.

Reply 13 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gigabyte were also working on a similar dual sloket at the time, with wider board support, though I don't think it ever made it off the stocks

"A unique product was exhibited at GIGA-BYTE Technology's booth, attracting the attention of visitors. The name was also called "GA-6RD7", and it was explained as "Single card supports Dual CPU". The CPU supports the CPGA Celeron and fc-PGA's Pentium III, but it has two PGA370 sockets on a single CPU board. Moreover, according to the explainer, it is even more surprising that it can be used with ordinary SC242 (Slot1) motherboards.

In order for intel CPUs to work dual normally, a chip called ASIC must be installed on the motherboard side. However, it can be said that it is a surprising product because it can be used with a normal SC242 that does not have it with this product. Considering the history of dual Celeron so far, it is likely that this product will spark a new dual Celeron boom, and it is a product that I want to run for reservation even now. However, at present, the revision is still in the early development stage with a revision of 0.1, and the shipping time has not been decided."

GA-6RD7.jpg
Filename
GA-6RD7.jpg
File size
157.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 16, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't the ASIC functionality integrated in the BX chipset?

Edit: Or is it actually called APIC? (Advanced Progammable Interrupt Controller)

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 15 of 16, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most probably you would need an Slot1 board with IOAPIC... Or if the chip is built with the adapter, you would need a board which can enable such chip. Is probably these adapters were built with an specific range of boards in mind.

H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-12-03, 14:30:

Wasn't the ASIC functionality integrated in the BX chipset?

Nope... I guess they started to integrate it in the i820 chipset. It only became mainstream with the P4 chipsets.