VOGONS

First post, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there. Iv been working in a recently acquired AT case and iv noticed that both PCI and ISA cards don't fully go down into their slots

IMG_20201120_235558.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201120_235558.jpg
File size
1023.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20201121_000433.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201121_000433.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm not sure if you can really see it, but the end of the card closest to the brackets has its connector pins lifted up out of the slot a tad.

Iv tried re attaching the motherboard standoffs and messing with the case to no change. So I'm guessing this case just got a bit warped or something..

Either way. Is there any problems long term running the cards like this? Any video quality/sound issues since the cards are not 100% down in the slot? It's driving me a bit crazy!

Reply 1 of 13, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Standoffs in that case may be a little bit too short, but that doesn't look like a serious problem anyway. AGP slot could be more sensitive, as it has two rows of connectors, but I don't see one here.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 2 of 13, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the slot bracket fully pushed down? If it is, you might just need slightly longer stand offs (there seem to be two standards for the length in older cases)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 13, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-12-01, 23:32:

Is the slot bracket fully pushed down? If it is, you might just need slightly longer stand offs (there seem to be two standards for the length in older cases)

Fully pushed down yes. I'm not sure what size standoffs I have as I just got them off Amazon.

Reply 4 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had that issue too. Sometimes the PCI bracket is too long, in which case I trim the end of it that rest on the back of the case/motherboard tray, and sometimes the PCI bracket is simple too short and I have remove it.

Reply 5 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think longer standoffs are the answer. Then longer ones are most likely going to be too long.

Cases back then we're usually just not made to specs that they should have been. If you have any of those red washers, try putting one or two on top of the standoffs near the back of the case. That should raise it up just enough to seat the cards fully.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 13, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-01, 23:40:

I don't think longer standoffs are the answer. Then longer ones are most likely going to be too long.

Cases back then we're usually just not made to specs that they should have been. If you have any of those red washers, try putting one or two on top of the standoffs near the back of the case. That should raise it up just enough to seat the cards fully.

Any red washer in specific?

I'm not to bothered. Aslong as the slight raise won't hurt the cards or induce any video/audio issues.

Reply 7 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you tell me what the two standards are (iam trying to learn)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-12-02, 01:02:

Any red washer in specific?

I'm not to bothered. Aslong as the slight raise won't hurt the cards or induce any video/audio issues.

Back in the day, cases would come with a bunch of red fiber washers that were meant to be used on the screws that were used to mount the motherboard in order to keep them from marring the motherboard.

Just do a search on eBay for motherboard washers. I just ordered 1,000 nylon washers for less than $10.

I see you can get 5,000 and 10,000 packs of the red fiber ones.. you can get much smaller quantities but the 5,000 and 10,000 qty packs are a way better deal.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 13, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For screw-in standoffs fit the washers between the case and the bottom of the standoff. You'll only be able to insert washers on the top for standoffs which are easily accessible from the edge of the motherboard.

(sorry if this sounds obvious, but one man's obvious is sometimes another man's stroke of genius)

Reply 10 of 13, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2020-12-02, 01:39:

Can you tell me what the two standards are (iam trying to learn)

The stand offs I have are 6mm and 7mm approx

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 11 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mdog69 wrote on 2020-12-02, 07:56:

For screw-in standoffs fit the washers between the case and the bottom of the standoff. You'll only be able to insert washers on the top for standoffs which are easily accessible from the edge of the motherboard.

(sorry if this sounds obvious, but one man's obvious is sometimes another man's stroke of genius)

Not the f you are careful. I have set washers on top.of the standoffs and then very carefully set the motherboard on top of the standoffs. Usually have to use something to recenter a few of the washers but it does work.

Another option is to tape the washers in place... Double sided tape works best.

On the other hand, if there are some standoffs that are only 1mm longer, those would probably work as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The washer trick is a good idea. Some of systems have a cards of different lengths, so I guess you could add washers to the expansion bracket through hole for them. That is a much better solution than modifying the brackets themselves.

Reply 13 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-12-02, 19:49:

The washer trick is a good idea. Some of systems have a cards of different lengths, so I guess you could add washers to the expansion bracket through hole for them. That is a much better solution than modifying the brackets themselves.

Definitely. I even have a nice, fancy capture card that I bought for my main PC. It came with a low profile bracket and I fitted it with a close-ish full height bracket. But because it wasn't the stock one, there was a motherboard standoff length of space in between the top of the bracket and the case. So I screwed in a standoff to the normal screw hole and then fastened the card bracket to that. Works perfectly.

If you don't have washers, you can always cut little squares of electrical tape and put that on top of the standoffs where needed. Just add enough layers to build it up to the correct height. 1-2 layers is usually enough.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK