VOGONS

First post, by Volga163

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

Recently I got my new toy, a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4270 laptop, with a PC card controller driven by ToPic100 (that's what Windows 98SE tells me if I put the PC card settings to Auto in BIOS) or ToPic95 (it's being told again by Windows 98SE if I switch the BIOS setting to Cardbus/16 bit).

I'm trying to run DOS on it to test an Orinoco Wireless Silver card. I got a trial version of APSoft Cardware 7 from the official site of the tool, it successfully detected the PC card controller as Toshiba ToPic100, and even somewhat detected the WiFi card (haven't done more in this case yet). If I switch to Cardbus/16 bit mode in BIOS, Cardware detects the controller as Toshiba ToPic95M (yes, with the M) and refuses to detect the WiFi module. Even when I try to choose a ToPic95 hardware in Cardware setup, it somehow rolls back to ToPic95M with no success again.

I've got a full version of CardWizard software that has ToPic95 modules, but lacks ToPic100 module. Is it worth giving a try, using a Cardbus/16 bit BIOS setting? Did someone somehow succeed in running this laptop with PC card support under plain DOS?

Thanks!