VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'd like to ask your experiences about the chinese cheap adapters that can be found online to use a Micro SD card as disk for SATA mainboards.
What about the file system support, can they be used on both linux and win systems? And about compatibility are they comparable and durable as a normal SATA cheap SSD disk? I suppose speed will depend on the card used but the system I'd use is a mini-itx old one so it sure benefit from SSD but I could live with a lower HD speed anyway.
Thanks

Reply 2 of 3, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are using SATA with an adapters based on the FC1307A chip, it's only going to talk to the SD cards at Normal Speed (12.5MB/s) or High Speed (25MB/s).

That means if you use any SD card that was fabbed in the last 10 years, the SD->Sata adapter is going to be a performance limiting component.

They also don't take advantage of any of the new SSD like features either, so pairing these cheap adapters with an A2 rated SD is not likely to buy you any extra performance over an A1 rating.

Some adapters have a two chip solution, going SD->PATA->SATA. Those two step adapters are supposed to be notoriously poor performers, worse that you'd expect if you got a SD->PATA adapter and connected it to a Sata converter.

Here's what the two chip solutions look like--

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
604.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I see some that do SD-->USB-->mSata. Those require that you set up a FAT32 partition in advance and seem to mount each partition as a separate drive. The added layer to the I/O stack also perform slowly.

Capture2.PNG
Filename
Capture2.PNG
File size
27.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 3, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some reading up on this matter because I bought a Raspberry Pi, and those use a MicroSD for mass storage. Apparently normal consumer MicroSD drives, because of their firmware, are likely to get trashed if a system is turned off improperly/during a write operation. They also tend to have a surprisingly poor lifetime under heavy rewriting and generally poor error correction. They're only intended for storing data, and relatively unimportant data at that. Plus, even if they sustain high speeds on linear access of large files, they're quite slow on small files/random reads and writes.

You can get industrial grade one from Mouser, Farnel .etc. Still pretty cheap, I paid $30 for a 16Gb true SLC Sandisk device that is actually intended for use as a boot device in embedded and industrial applications. But I wouldn't use it on anything like a modern desktop... the Raspberry Pi Zero I'm using has about the power of a Pentium 3 500, and even there garbage cards seriously affect disk performance.